PlantFiles: Sweet Pea Bush, September Bush
Polygala myrtifolia

Family: Polygalaceae
Genus: Polygala (pol-ee-GAH-luh) (Info)
Species: myrtifolia (mir-tih-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

Purple

Blooms all year

Blue-Green

Flowers are good for cutting
Provides winter interest

By growin
Thumbnail #5 of Polygala myrtifolia by growin

Positive Ditzydo On Sep 13, 2012, Ditzydo from Kingston upon Thames
United Kingdom wrote:

I bought this plant 2yrs ago because I was drawn to the masses of beautiful flowers. It was a tiny shrub then but is now about 4ft high & round. As the label was in poorly translated English I have struggled to find out about it. My plant is in container on patio. It seems to need masses of water or leaves drop & flowers wither. Last winter (which was dry) I forgot to water & it nearly passed away. Just about recovered. When I trimmed a few branches they died right back & it has taken all summer to recover. What did I do wrong please? Was it my timing?
However It is massive & I want to prune but don't know best time to do this without upsetting flowering. Gave it slow release fertiliser (seems to be mistake as it has massive growth spurt & reduced flowering). Everyone loves the plant - as do I. Any help on when/how to prune welcome. Should I get it out of pot & move to border if it is going to get as big as people are saying? It's in a large pot which may contain it's growth (hopefully). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Positive mmike2 On May 10, 2012, mmike2 from Encinitas, CA wrote:

Purchased 9 1-gal plants 2 years ago, all of which grew and bloomed well despite bad soil, drought, wind, in a difficult location. However, 1 plant died, maybe gopher?, but set dozens of seedlings first. These seedlings grow well but have never had blossoms? whether still in original areas or transplanted into pots. Any ideas on how to get them to bloom? Are they a patented plant?

Neutral Dermot65 On Mar 22, 2012, Dermot65 from Dublin
Ireland wrote:

Have been gardening for forty years, used write on gardening, environment and wildlife. Was ionvolved in veterinary and medical research in Europe. I have a garden by the sea in Wexford Ireland, which I am developing and have some intersting plants such as Norfolk Pine, Ploygala, Eucryphias, Ceratostigma, Halesia, Citrus, Olive tree, Abutilons, Eccremocarpus, Lagerstroemia and Oleanders (just surviving), Cercis (from seed).

Positive keane On Feb 9, 2012, keane from Cork
Ireland wrote:

I bought this plant in England about 2 and a half years ago. I live in Cork (Southern Ireland ). I have it in a pot and keep it indoors in the Winter and outdoors otherwise. It flowers practically all year round, however it hasnt grown hardly atall, it isn't potbound. I took cuttings, which flowered and I had to keep cutting them off as they didn't have any roots. It is very floppy. I have fed it. Would love to see it grow. Any ideas or comments?

Positive Dave_in_Devon On May 6, 2007, Dave_in_Devon from Torquay
United Kingdom (Zone 9b) wrote:

The form 'grandiflora' is widely planted as a low to medium height hedge in Cyprus, where it flowers heavily in late spring and early summer. It is obviously well-suited to being grown in this fashion and appears to respond very well to regular trimming, forming a dense screen. In climates that support this species, it makes a most attractive evergreen hedge with mid-green leaves and showy clusters of comparatively large intense purple, pea-like flowers.

Encinitas, California