Climbing Bamboo, Crown Bamboo

Chusquea coronalis

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Chusquea (chus-KWEE-uh) (Info)
Species: coronalis (kor-oh-NAL-is) (Info)

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Oceanside, California

Reseda, California

Santa Barbara, California (2 reports)

Spring Valley, California

Thousand Oaks, California

Vista, California

On Jun 28, 2006, deezpalms from Oceanside, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

I finally ID'D my bamboo and this is what it is! What a gorgeous and graceful bamboo!!

On Nov 14, 2005, terrasolsb from Santa Barbara, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

Plant has done very well in my garden here in Santa Barbara. In its first year, plant more than doubled both in size, and number of new shoots produced (15), now standing at least 4' tall and about 6' wide.
It gets sun all morning but is protected from the hottest afternoon sun. I feed it an all-purpose organic fertilizer every 6-8 weeks, and keep it on the moist side but not soggy. It does tend to yellow and drop leaves during the winter months, but new lush growth soon follows when the weather warms in spring.
I'm looking forward to it filling out even more over the next few years, and it looks great next to the Hoja and Canna 'Tropicana' that grow next to it!

On Jan 6, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is one of my favorite bamboos- very delicate with itty bitty leaves and long, thin, beautifully arching culms up to 20', sometimes arching all the way to the ground. It is a very slow growing bamboo and is certainly not an invasive risk in most climates in which it can grow. Sometimes a fincky species, suddenly losing its leaves and dying for no obvious reasons. Makes a good potted plant, too.