Blooming Boxes
Kalanchoe prolifera

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Kalanchoe (kal-un-KOH-ee) (Info)
Species: prolifera (pro-LEEF-er-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Bryophyllum proliferum

Huntington Beach, California

Thousand Oaks, California

Opelousas, Louisiana

On Nov 21, 2008, Toni05 from Brookfield, IL wrote:

I got my Kalanchoe prolifera 4-5 years ago. BTW, I live in the midwest, zone 5.
It grew a little over 4' (about 7" when purchased) the first 2 1/2 years. In 2006 there was a family problem during winter, so I neglected many plants including the prolifera..April of 2007, I was about to discard since the plant had died, so I thought. After close inspection, little green sprouts were popping up in different sections of soil.
I'm happy to say, it's now nearing 5', and quite healthy.
It is summered outdoors, wintered in a cool room, west windows.
K prolifera can be grown in colder areas/low zones, but needs bright light, frequent repottings, and space. Toni

On Jun 9, 2008, nomosno from San Diego, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

I love kalanchoes in general but I especially really love this plant. Slow growing so it is easy to control but quite prolific once established. Any part of the plant can be used for propagation. It generates lots of mini-plants on the tips of the flower stalks. It dies after flowering and I tried to "save" on by cutting off the flower stalk but then it kept bringing up new ones from the bases of the leaves and died anyway.

On Jul 7, 2005, Chuck1260 from Arroyo Grande, CA wrote:

I grow them in pots. Usually 4 or 5 stems in a 15 gallon container. The plant gets about 6 feet tall and the inflorescens gets another three feet tall. Stem dies but shoots form just below where it dies and there are lots of plantlets to stick in the pots. I like the color of the leaves and the shape and texture of the plant. It is a real show stopper just before it blooms. None of mine have fallen over and I do not stake them. Great plant for the right situation, not for tiny gardens or windowsills.

On Jun 24, 2005, Kelli from L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

My experience has been that it takes two years for a plant to get to blooming size. The stalk the has bloomed slowly dies back after blooming. Plantlets are formed around the flowers, rather than on the leaves. Some tendency to get mealy bugs.

On Aug 29, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a fast growing succulent that forms what looks like a green, ringed trunk (up to 10' tall). Usually, before it actually gets that tall, it falls over and continues to grow along the ground, slowly curving up again... the stem where it fell can grow roots, too... sort of becomse invasive that way. I am pretty sure leaves that fall off may also root. Interesting and exotic looking shrub- mine has survived multiple frosts with minimal damage, and though I wouldn't recommend it for really cold areas, it sure seems to thrive in zone 9b. Leaves somewhat reminiscent to mother of thousands (without the dinky little leaflets along the leaf margins). In bright sun will develop some pink/red coloration.