Shrub Rose
Rosa 'Rhapsody in Blue'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Rhapsody in Blue
Additional cultivar information:(PP17518, aka FRAntasia, Rhapsody in Blue)
Hybridized by Cowlishaw
Registered or introduced: 2002

Class:

Shrub

Mauve and mauve blend (mb)

Bloom Shape:

Resistant to mildew

Resistant to rust

Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

North Augusta, South Carolina

Vancouver, Washington

On Sep 13, 2012, manueldalmeida from Lisbon
Portugal wrote:

"Rhapsody in blue" is not a good rose for regions where the weather is to dry, sun shining and hot. The plant defoliates and does not bloom during summer (only in spring and late autumn)

On Jan 29, 2012, Sandrasrosegarden from Myrtle Beach, SC wrote:

I have had this rose for 4 years now and last year it bloomed all summer. Large beautiful clusters of purple roses. Unfortunately in October the rose got black mood and I thought it had not made it. I did not have the heart to dig up the roots so I left it there. In the second week of January I found 6 new sprouts coming from the roots about 4 inches from the original rose stem. I have never seen a rose so determined to survive.

On Jun 29, 2010, jackidee from Sherwood, OR wrote:

Mine is blooming heavily in it's 3rd year. The color is intense when sun isn't strong, so early spring bloom and fall. Strong sun means more gray, less blue.

On Aug 11, 2009, lisabeth from State of..., MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I am in my third year with this rose. I do really like it. With good fertility and care this year, I've had good results with rebloom. I just want to note, that the flowers drop off almost as soon as they open and the color starts out very dark and starts fading as soon as it opens. It is pretty and easy but I did read that it makes good cut flowers and this is incorrect. They wouldn't make it one day in a vase. A nice shrub rose with some fragrance.

On Jun 14, 2008, dakotaroser from Kingston, NH wrote:

bought this rose last year (07') put it on the deck in a large
pot and it just bloomed all summer right up til frost, I transplanted it into its new home in October and this year
it has grown three times the size of the original and is
covered with beautiful shades of purples, dark, dark reddish
purples and smokey inbetweens of these colors. Many of
the blooms have this beautiful hand painted look of white
running through many of the blooms, it really makes this
even more beautiful. An outstanding rose, I barely had to prune this as it has so
little die back it was amazing. Its always hard to watch
the japanese bettles attack roses but it bounced back
with no problems and resumed blooming like crazy!! It has a beautifu... read more

On Apr 6, 2006, Jamie_Anderson from Wellington
New Zealand wrote:

I ordered and potted one of these, enticed by the marketed purple colour. It's an OK rose, but the "slate blue" flowers as they call them just look kinda dull, and perhaps diseased.

On Dec 17, 2005, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

I bought these in Autumn 2002, rose of the year 2003! I started them off in very large pots, as the ground was not ready. The plants had large roots, and looked very healthy. I was amazed at how quickly they grew, I had 3 and placed one in each 'corner' of a round cornered triangle, with a variety of seed grown campanula and a dahlia Cafe au Lait in the centre. It's first year was a very good display. This rose starts to flower early, and continues for a long time, making many new shoots with large clusters of medium sized loosely double, scented flowers.

The colour starts a deep purplish colour, with an occasional white streak, opening quite flat and changing colour to a silvery greyish blue as it ages. It has a scent which is hard to describe, I wouldn't say it was ... read more