Showy Medinilla
Medinilla magnifica

Family: Melastomataceae
Genus: Medinilla (med-in-NIL-uh) (Info)
Species: magnifica (mag-NIH-fee-kuh) (Info)

From leaf cuttings

Holmes Beach, Florida

Lake Mary, Florida

Lakeland, Florida

Merritt Island, Florida

Naples, Florida (2 reports)

Pompano Beach, Florida

Metairie, Louisiana

Humble, Texas

Falls Church, Virginia

On May 23, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A very beautiful plant in bloom, magnificent indeed when well grown, with long-lasting pink flower bracts.

Not an easy houseplant. Under ordinary winter household conditions (low light, low humidity) it declines, the foliage deteriorating first.

A plant for those with a warm greenhouse or conservatory.

On May 22, 2015, Suzycatwoman from Tampa, FL wrote:

I live in Central Florida, in Tampa. We get 9 months of very humid summer and 3 months of usually mild winter, lots of summer rain storms. I bought my Medinilla at a University of South Florida Botanical Gardens plant sale after seeing it and it's bloom for the first time. It cost me $25, more than I have ever paid for a plant. I repotted it in a large ceramic pot with a saucer, and put it outdoors in my back yard on a plant stand, under a large oak tree where it gets dappled sunlight. At first, the leaves were eaten by some bug or other, but it did bloom that year. Last year it did not bloom, but did not die either, and I noticed a lessening of insect holes in the leaves. I water it from the top with a soft spray from the garden hose until the saucer is full. I have not fertilized... read more

On Jul 20, 2014, RosinaBloom from Waihi
New Zealand (Zone 1) wrote:

Medinilla magnifica - commonly known as Philippine Orchid - is an epiphyte with ovid pink brachts of pink, red or violet flowers and fruits of violet, fleshy berries. It can grow up to 3m high.

On Jul 16, 2012, Patstad from Dallas, OR wrote:

Are the flowers fragrant?

On May 4, 2011, jsigetich from Wausau, WI wrote:

I've had this plant for about 5 years. It has attractive foliage, but has never, ever bloomed. How do you get this stupid thing to bloom? I'm ready to throw it out!

On Apr 14, 2011, jbuk from dartford
United Kingdom wrote:

Recently purchased this plant in Kent England No one even at the Nursery we bought it at knew anything about them , said it had just come in with another consignment of plants ( not ordered ) glad to have found details on Dave's garden (knew i would ) we are keeping it in our front porch nice and warm but not much direct sun , let you know how it gets on , looks lovely so far 3 flowers
john

On Feb 3, 2011, KOCZAR from Toledo, OH wrote:

After 3 months of very active, impressive growth, my medinilla started curling up its leaves and they started dropping by the hour. I have kept it in my cool 70 degree room with a humdifier working about 8-12 hrs. a day. In early Dec. it was over 2 ft. high by 4 ft. wide and the pride of my jungle. Yesterday after watching leaf after leaf drop for weeks, I severely pruned it back but it is still not healthy. It went from flourishing to languishing overnite with the same care and conditions. What did I do wrong? How can I restore it before it completely dies? This is my pride and joy; help me to save it before it's too late. Thank you very much! Susan of Toledo

On Oct 8, 2010, datora from devon
United Kingdom wrote:

Hi I live in Devon in England and the picture I have uploaded is my Medinilla grown in my conservatory - I just love this plant and hope that it will have a second flowering as quite a few plants in my conservatory are flowering all year round I guess they're forced because of the warm and lots of TLC. Anyone got any hints about when to prune the dying flower heads? Datora

On Jan 18, 2010, snowbird67 from Naples, FL wrote:

I bought this plant at a craft fair 2 years ago in Naples FL. It was a foot tall with 2 branches and few leaves. I stuck it on the north side where it gets good light but no direct sun. It is now over 2 feet with several branches. Last week it went below freezing a couple of nights and the plant looks just fine. The Coleus next to it is dead. We live in a landscaped community that gets pest control and fertilizer quarterly and I have done nothing else to it. My plant has no pest damage anywhere. Since we are up north for the summer I only saw the last of the flowers when we returned the end of Sept. That was the first time it flowered so I am hopeful to see more before we leave this year.

On Sep 29, 2009, mahina from Hawi, HI wrote:

our medinilla gave us bounteous blooms for the first time this year, after about four years of growth in a sheltered position. the blooms started in spring, and they persist on the plant, quite attractive still on sept 29. we have it in the ground, a raised bed lined with lava rocks, so the foliage and blooms are at eye level. it is underplanted with bromeliads and begonias, and requires little care, other than water in dry spells and some mealy bug control (spray with dilute simple green).

On Jul 31, 2009, vaodiva from Eustis, FL wrote:

Got this plant on sale at one of the box stores and wasn't sure what to do with it, never having seen it before. But it was so pretty I just had to get it.
I ended up planting it in a mostly shaded area under a couple of oaks. It gets somewhat regular water and spotty sun and hasn't stopped blooming. It seems to have been left alone by critters so far. I'll continue crossing my fingers. I imagine I'll have to cover it come winter.

On Feb 1, 2009, Planter56 from Buffalo, NY wrote:

This plant seems to be very easy to grow and flowers readily. The picture I submitted shows the flower buds emerging. I will add others as it progresses.

On Apr 12, 2008, vittek from Kealakekua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

We live on the Kona side of the Big Island of Hawaii. The plant was in bloom when we bought it at Lowes about 4 years ago but has not bloomed since. It grows agressively in mid-day sun near the ocean with shade in the morning and afternoon but will not flower.
Also, something is eating big holes out of the leaves that look like Japanese rose beetle bites but we have not found the culprit for sure.

Any ideas why it won't bloom?

On Oct 26, 2006, IndoorGardner from Falls Church, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I love this plant. I have searched long and hard for her. Thanks to joining DaveGarden I was finally able to find her.
She is growing well with me in the basement. She loves grow lights and liquid compost. Since she love humidity I keep a special temperature gauge that tracks the highest temperature and humidity during the day vs at night. I find that 35-45% is a great balance to keep all my plants happy and growing. So far I have not had any problems with her. She did suffer a little transplant shock and dropped two leaves.

On Jun 22, 2005, smartdog from Cocoa Beach, FL wrote:

I live on the outermost Atlantic barrier island w/lots of salt air. I 've kept my beautiful Medinilla in a large pot snuggled in the corner of the east wall of my home, where it gets morning sun until noon. Normally, my plants are better insulated against our mercurial weather planted in the ground (ranges f/below freezing some winters to 98F), happy f/heat radiated off the wall in winter. It is blooming now, mid-June thru mid-July w/several blossoms. I moved it into garage f/3 hurricanes last summer, and although I don't keep many plants in pots, felt I'd protect this one f/nematodes. It seems to do well in open shade, but definitely post noon direct summer sun will cook it.

On Sep 14, 2004, anomina from Bradenton, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

there MUST be something wrong with this plant because i cannot imagine why it hasn't gotten the attention its beauty deserves.

the one i bought today, the 'grapes' start off white and gradually darken through pink to purple. the foliage is extremely attractive.

occasionally it gets to way below 40 degrees here in bradenton, fl., so i guess i'll lose it shortly, but the pleasure it will give me until then will be worth it.

perhaps if i wrap it well?

anybody got any ideas?

On Jul 23, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

We had a beautiful specimen of this plant in the property where we lived previously (same village). It reached huge proportions and when covered in blooms it was gorgeous. Locals call it Filipino Grape Hyacinth.