Eggplant 'Black Beauty'

Solanum melongena var. esculentum

Genus: Solanum (so-LAN-num) (Info)
Species: melongena var. esculentum
Cultivar: Black Beauty

Not Applicable

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Gilbert, Arizona

Troy, Virginia

Charleston, West Virginia

Sheboygan, Wisconsin

On Jun 11, 2010, locakelly from Phoenix, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

I grow this every year in my garden. It is a reliable producer for me and sets fruit until frost. I had eggplant last year at Christmas as we really never got cold here!

On Sep 26, 2009, grrrlgeek from Grayslake, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I grew this years ago in a large pot on south facing a balcony and it did wonderfully. Beautiful fruits for parmesean.

On May 13, 2009, Laflora from DeLand, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is my standby, never-fail eggplant. Last year one plant continued producing right into winter -- although production was slow at that point. The plant survived 40s temperatures (that's winter for us here) and didn't die until a rare hard freeze hit the area. I have tried other eggplants but always go back to this one.

On Apr 21, 2005, Breezymeadow from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

"The" standard eggplant. Large glossy oval fruit that make excellent "boats" for stuffing, as well as providing perfect-size slices for parmagians & lasagnas.

While the plants may require staking when grown traditionally, I grow these fairly close together in wide-row raised beds where they manage to support each other without staking. This also shades the soil which prevents weed growth. I also keep the plants covered with floating row covers until pollination time to deter flea beetle infestation which appears to be the only pest that bothers eggplant in my garden.

With this variety moreso than others it is extremely important to harvest the fruit at the correct stage. If picked too young/small, the flesh is tough & sometimes bitter; if picked past it's ... read more

On Apr 20, 2005, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

I also prefer the Asian and Indian eggplants for flavor and texture. But Ms Fatma, who is Turkish and makes dolmas, prefers this heirloom variety. Since I like Ms Fatma and her dolmas, this is the variety I grow.

On Jan 12, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Black Beauty is the standard open pollinated Egg Plant. Large glossy black eggs on a large plant that requires staking. I much prefer the flavor of oriental eggplants, but this one is vigorous and productive. Some folks prefer this type so I still grow it.