PlantFiles: Eggplant
Solanum melongena var. esculentum 'Listada de Gandia'

Genus: Solanum (so-LAN-num) (Info)
Species: melongena var. esculentum
Cultivar: Listada de Gandia

Vegetables

Not Applicable

Violet/Lavender
Purple

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By Gabrielle
Thumbnail #1 of Solanum melongena var. esculentum by Gabrielle

By Valentina_S
Thumbnail #2 of Solanum melongena var. esculentum by Valentina_S

Positive CajuninKy On Feb 11, 2014, CajuninKy from Biggs, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grew this variety last year as was beyond pleased with it. It was prolific and delicious with a mild flavor. We enjoyed it battered and fried. It will definitely be in my garden this year.

Neutral berrygirl On Feb 27, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Have seed but not grown yet. It is a STUNNING eggplant- wish I could upload the pic that I have! Will grow this in 2007 and hope to report back the results.

Reliable, heavy yields of excellent quality 6-8" thin-skinned fruits. 80-90 days from transplant.

Neutral Farmerdill On Aug 23, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Purple and white striped eggplant. Heavy yields of 6-8" thin skinned fruits. It is an open pollinated cultivar so seed can be saved from the ripe fruit.

Neutral Terry On Jan 12, 2004, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I'm trying this mid-1800s Italian heirloom variety this year for the first time. From the pictures I've seen, I think it deserves the title "most beautiful eggplants ever grown." With rosy striped skin and creamy flesh, I'm hopeful it will perform well in our climate. Should have 6-8" fruits, which are a perfect size for our family's tastes.

Tucson, Arizona