Habanero Pepper
Capsicum chinense 'Caribbean Red'

Genus: Capsicum (KAP-sih-kum) (Info)
Species: chinense (chi-NEN-see) (Info)
Cultivar: Caribbean Red
» View all varieties of Peppers

Heat (Pungency):

Extremely Hot (above 30,000 Scoville Units)

Fruit Shape:

Round

Twisted

Fruit Size:

Small (under 2" in length)

Fruit Color:

Green changing to red

Open-pollinated

Usage:

Fresh (salsa, salads)

Drying

Pickling

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Mid (69-80 days)

Mountain View, California

Rocklin, California

Ventura, California

Casselberry, Florida

Daytona Beach, Florida (2 reports)

Bonaire, Georgia

Drexel, North Carolina

Liberty Hill, Texas

Jonesville, Virginia

On Feb 9, 2013, thesergey from Escondido, CA wrote:

This seedling was purchased at El Plantio Nursery, it was grown in a container in the back yard. Of the three varieties that I grew, this was the slowest to get started and the last to flower/fruit. Once it got going all my doubts vanished. This plant delivered two large harvests, the last of which was for new years!

From my experience, the plant did best on the southern side of the patio in full sun during the spring and winter but had to be moved to a partial shade spot during the summer. This pepper was an attractive plan that produced great tasting fruit.

It dropped most of the leaves once a few nights got down to freezing but the plant itself seems to still be alive. Even if it doesn't make it through the southern California winter, I will be planting i... read more

On Oct 16, 2012, annie57 from Drexel, NC wrote:

Carib Reds are in habanero family. I've grown them for several years and they really love rain or irrigation, respond well to AACTeas designed for varying stages of growth. I don't grow these and other superhots in containers but in large, no till garden. I would suggest that under ideal circumstances, that these be caged, because they get heavy with peppers, soon. Of course I suggest that for all peppers aside from regular orange habs (which I no longer grow), jalapeno and Tabasco. They have a sweeter taste, imo, that orange habs. As someone mentioned they do taste a bit like a strawberry. And they are hot, of course. I've made Yucatan Hell Jam with them--mango/key lime juice--this year and a hot sauce with rum, papaya, mango, and some strawberries for giggles: good stuff. I smoke and deh... read more

On Jun 2, 2010, dda1974 from Bonaire, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Very easy to grow and very hot. I direct-seeded this last year in June crowded in a 20 qt pot with a chocolate habenero and a fatali. I froze a lot of peppers and had spice for my soups, stews, and chilies all winter.

On May 11, 2010, Derek_1 from Honolulu, HI wrote:

Bought one plant already growing. Moved to a bigger pot. Used the first couple of peppers for their seeds and put them in more pots (live in Hawaii so it never gets cold). Within 3 weeks i had several more plants. Seems very easy to grow. I am now getting around 10 peppers on my original plant and the seedlings continue to get larger! My next batch i am going to try making hot "dip" using the peppers and maybe some mango!

On May 7, 2010, protospheric from Houston, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

I grew this pepper from seed last summer, and transplanted it to a container. I never got any fruit from it though. I think I transplanted too late, and the container I used was too small. I fertilized and watered like you should a pepper, but still nothing. I think I'll try again this summer, even though I'm a little behind on starting seed. I should still be able to get a decent sized plant by the end of summer, and maybe this time I'll be home to over-winter it properly so it will live to produce the following summer.

On Dec 18, 2009, AZBill from Tempe, AZ wrote:

I bought a Caribbean Red in a pot from Home Depot 3 or 4 years ago just to see if it would survive in Phoenix. It is a great pepper to grow! I put it on my front porch under the eave and hose it down once a day. (South facing exposure.) Other than the watering, it is almost totally neglected. Perfect for the lazy gardener or someone who travels.

The first year I didn't get much fruit and thought it was a big waste of time. I like to see plants, but I would much rather eat them. Every year since then, though, I've gotten quite a bit of fruit. It's more like a fruit tree than a pepper, since it gives more and more fruit every year.

Last summer, it lost most of it's leaves due to a very long heat spell (many days over 110 F) and I thought it was a go... read more

On Nov 21, 2008, _RichardK_ from Glens Falls, NY wrote:

These plants are great, they grow like a bush, about 4-5 feet high and can get loaded with 100s of "Strawberry sized" pods per plant.

The Caribbean Red has a very unique flavor, much more potent than a typical Orange Habanero with a very pungent fruity aroma that, in my opinion is "Strawberry like".

Pods turn from light green, to light orange to light red then to dark red. Pods may also be in many of these stages at the same time (sometimes with patches of chocolate brown color) or skip right to light red. All on the same plant.

Pods may be smooth or wrinkled "pumpkin like" in appearence, roundish at the top and quickly tapering off to a blunt point at the blossom end.

Pods take a very long time to ripen, they will get to full siz... read more

On Aug 2, 2006, tmccullo from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Great plant and easy to grow in Houston, Texas. But watch out when you eat one. I love hot peppers but these are HOT. WOW! Quite a bit hotter than the typical habanero.

On Dec 11, 2005, EAPierce from Idaho Falls, ID (Zone 5a) wrote:

I rate this as a positive experience pretty much due to how well it grew- not for flavor, persay. I have a pretty high tolerance and appreciation for hot peppers, but the Caribbean Red Habanero was a bit much for me, and I didn't even try a fully ripe fruit. I grew it on a lark, having gotten over a dozen sickly (aphid-infested) pepper seedlings for free from a local nursery that was going to throw them out. I didn't have room for them in the vegetable garden, especially that late in the season (it was late July), but I potted them up in one-gallon containers and put them on the porch in a spot that only got a few morning and evening hours of direct sun. The aphids didn't last long after a few treatments, and the peppers took off full blast, the Caribbean RH being the most vigorous. T... read more

On Nov 21, 2005, admodeva from Dutton, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

Grew very well in full sun, yes VERY HOT!!

On Jul 5, 2004, MITHRANDIER2K4 from Creswell, OR wrote:

RECIEVED SEEDS FROM GURNEY'S AND NO PROBLEMS WITH GERMINATION OR GROWTH. USED MIRACLE GROW POTTING SOIL AND LARGE POTS TO GROW IN MY APT. THESE PEPPERS BLEW MY HEAD OFF, I LOVE HABANERO'S (DID I SPELL THAT RIGHT?) AND THESE MADE THEM LOOK MILD. A VERY GOOD PEPPER. REMINDS YOU THAT YOU ARE ALIVE

On Apr 23, 2004, twobells from Rocklin, CA wrote:

The Caribbean Red is rated at 350,000 Scoville Heat Units and the Habanero at 300,000 SHU. I have grown both along with many other hot peppers here in the hot Sacramento Valley for many years.I also grow the Red Savina, not to be confused with the Carribbean Red.The Red Savina is recognized in the Guiness Book of Records as the world's hottest pepper at 577,000 Scoville Heat Units.It was developed in the Los Angles area. Only the Naga Jolokia from the Tezpur area of India may be hotter at 850,00 SHU but this is subject to much discussion. Naga Jolokia in the Assam language is "Chili from Nagaland."

On Jan 12, 2004, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Billed as hotter than a hab, I can't wait to try this one in salsa next summer!