Cucumber 'Early Fortune'

Cucumis sativus

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucumis (KOO-koo-mis) (Info)
Species: sativus (sa-TEE-vus) (Info)
Cultivar: Early Fortune

Augusta, Georgia

Rogersville, Missouri

Troy, Virginia

On Sep 20, 2011, GSF from Deatsville, AL wrote:

I believe this was the type we grew this year. It was our first time attempting cucumbers. From what I've read cucumber have shallow roots. I got the pine straw, hay, & goat poop from the sheds and placed on top of the ground around the plants.

The smartest thing I did was take two metal T-Post and drive them in at around a 35 degree angle. Then I placed a 4 foot by 8 foot run of cow panel on them and tied it in. The smart thing about this was you could look under the wire and see your cucumbers other wise you would have to search deligently through your vines for harvest. Often you would find a huge one that had finally got so big it couldn't help but be seen.

The other new thing we done was to take the huge cucumbers (the one that folks say is to big to eat... read more

On Feb 27, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Fruits are 7-8" long by 2" diameter. 55-60 days.

On Oct 2, 2004, winter_unfazed from Rural Webster County, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

Selected in 1910 at Royal Oak,MI from now-extinct Davis Perfect , a chance cross due to handling the herbaceous couple during wet weather.Susceptible to the powdery mildew that destroyed many cuke vines in 2004,but does well in cool weather. Bounces back from mildew if managed well.

On Jan 13, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This variety was my favorite slicer well into the 50's. Newer cultivars are more prolific, more consistent in color etc. But I still remember this cultivar fondly. 2011, Found seeds and grew it again this year. Performing well, altho not competitive with Olympian, Talledega, or Thunderbird in yield or appearance.