Common Camellia, Japanese Camellia
Camellia japonica 'Kramer's Supreme'

Family: Theaceae (tee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Camellia (kuh-MEE-lee-a) (Info)
Species: japonica (juh-PON-ih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Kramer's Supreme

Mc Kinney, Texas

Whitesboro, Texas

negative

On Mar 22, 2012, zkmayo from Matthews, NC wrote:

Ive had one of these plants for 2 years now. I like it so much I planted 2 more today. They produce beautiful, double form poeny-like red fragrant flowers that bloom in February. This year it was simply covered in blooms. The tree is like 3 ft tall and I must of had 50 blooms on it. Seems to grow slow to medium, which I am glad as I am always a bit wary of things that grow very fast. The leaves are a deep, rich green and hold their color through the year here in southern NC. I mulched it with shredded pine bark and pine needles and it didnt seem to me to be to picky about planting conditions although I did put alot of compost in the hole.

On Sep 25, 2010, ZPlow from Fresno, CA wrote:

Re: Loss of Plant in winter.
Camellias don't like deep planting and especially like to be planted with the flare of the "trunk" above the soil level with careful consideration taken not to cover the rootball. The inability of the plant to survive heavy rains due to planting depth can contribute to loss.

On Oct 18, 2009, spete from Marlow, OK (Zone 7b) wrote:

The nursery assured me this plant would grow in southern Oklahoma. Did fine through the summer with high shade, but winter came and although it was mulched to the nines, it froze deader than a hammer.

On Feb 14, 2009, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have not had this plant for very long so I am unable to rate it yet. It was introduced by Kramer Brothers Nursery (California) in 1957.

Update 2/4/2011 - I have now had this plant for 2 years. It has grown slowly perhaps because it is in a large container. We have had severely cold winter weather for our region now 2 years in a row and has survived with no protection so far. It will be16 F tonight so I hope that I'm not stating this too soon. It has about 40 bloom buds on it with 2 having fully opened. It has been a consistent bloomer. The roots have grown into the ground unfortunately. I had wanted to plant it in a different spot because the sun will be hitting it in the spring. I had forgotten that my angel trumpets sometimes freeze down to the grown and don't pr... read more

On Feb 4, 2009, jovy1097 from Simmesport, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Makes HUGE red peony shaped flowers. The flowers are also fragrant, which is not a common trait for camellias.

On Jun 18, 2005, brugmansialover from Santa Maria, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have had this plant in the ground for about 4 years, and is growing a little slow! But the blooms are awsome and do smell a little! They are big blooms, and i just love it.. It gets a little sun, but that doesnt seem to hurt it, i hope for it to get a little more thicker, i fertalize it alot, i cant wait for it too bloom again, this is a great camellia for anyone, and the color is unreal!