Tulip Anthurium, Hawaiian Tulip, Tulip Tail Flower, Tulip Flamingo Flower

Anthurium amnicola

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Anthurium (an-THUR-ee-um) (Info)
Species: amnicola (am-NEE-koh-la) (Info)
Synonym:Anthurium lilacinum
Synonym:Anthurium gemini

Partial to Full Shade

Pale Pink

Blooms all year

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Hollywood, Florida (3 reports)

Ocala, Florida

El Reno, Oklahoma

Johnson City, Tennessee

Broaddus, Texas

On Feb 23, 2009, gdurak from Buffalo, NY wrote:

I love the plant but I bought it in a sub-freezing climate, covered it in a bag by folding the leaves up so they wouldn't break or freeze getting it to the car, and itched all the way home. My eyes swelled up for a week. I still have it but don't touch it.

On Jul 23, 2008, Darmananda from New Iberia, LA wrote:

Here in zone 9b, I still have it in the hot-pink pot that it came with, and it matches the pink flamingo flowers. It must be grown as annual if you want to grow on the ground.

I have it grown in an old pipe that is upright and the pot fits right into the top of the pipe. And the old pipe is green, which also matches the foliage. Look for one of my pictures to see what I am talking about. The one with the old metal pipe with hot pink pot rim and green is mine. :-)

It must, I think, be brought back indoors in winter in my zone. I am only a zone away from its ideal zone so we'll see what happens.

This plant can be root bound and that shouldn't be much of a problem since it grew on rocks near rivers and streams in its native habitat. As long as you... read more

On Jan 20, 2008, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Tulip Anthurium, Hawaiian Tulip, Tulip Tail Flower, Tulip Flamingo Flower (Anthurium amnicola) grows natively in Panama.

On Dec 16, 2007, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I do not grow this species, however, research tells me that it grows on rocks in streams. That tells you that it sure likes a lot of water. It wouldn't be wise to let this one dry out.

On Feb 4, 2005, nature_girl from Singapore

i haven't actually tried growing this plant before, but i have seen plenty of specimens grown indoors, and have observed that it is rather hardy and easy to grow.

On Jun 18, 2004, hummingbird3000 from New Prague, MN wrote:

I've had one of these with pink flowers for a couple years (in my house) and it just keeps growing. However, it has only gotten a couple more flowers since I bought it. The leaves are really big and pretty though. Nice foliage plant! Looks very tropical. Takes neglect well, I sometimes forget to water it.