Bolivian Nasturtium

Tropaeolum tricolor

Family: Tropaeolaceae
Genus: Tropaeolum (tro-PEE-oh-lum) (Info)
Species: tricolor (TRY-kull-lur) (Info)
Synonym:Tropaeolum tricolorum

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

On Apr 21, 2011, eliasastro from Athens
Greece (Zone 10a) wrote:

Very easy plant. Better to raise it from rhizome than from seeds, as seeds are usually very slow and erratic in germination. Also, young seedlings are very sensitive to heat and may die in the summer.
A friend gave me a rhizome she bought from I sowed it in late October. Left it outdoors, as this winter was frostless. It started growing very thin shoots and then thin foliage.
The whole plant was so small that i couldn' t believe that it would flower this spring, but it actually did! Flowers have a truly fantastic color and they look pretty strange. Total length is now only 50cm (20 inches). I hope next year it grows bigger!

On Nov 29, 2004, Ursula from Santiago
Chile (Zone 9b) wrote:

Tropaeolum tricolor is a Chilean endemic vine, so why call them 'Bolivian Nasturtium'?

This lovely climber with deep red or orangish-red flowers, enhanced with blue and yellow, produces a tuber. It reaches up to 3 m height and blooms from late winter to early summer.

Requires well-drained slightly humid soil, neutral pH, high luminosity and full sun exposure. Also requires support to climb. Normally they will bloom the second year if grown from seeds, although from the third year on they will have the most amazing flower-display.

Sowing recommendations: propagate from seeds in autumn in a mix of: 2 portions compost, 1 portion regular garden soil and 1 portion sharp river sand. Cover the seeds with a fine layer of sharp river sand. They will ger... read more

Update January 4, 2007

Today, in order to satisfy some question from a fellow DG member, I went to my balcony and emptied the pot where I sowed T. tricolorum seeds on April 24, 2005 and found the tubers of the posted picture at the bottom of the 15cm (6") styrofoam pot where I originally sowed them (i.e., first time I remove them). They must be repotted into a much deeper pot now.

I knew Tropaeolums have erratic germination, but was very surprised to find such different tuber-sizes for seeds I sowed simultaneously (and I knew they were fresh, because I collected them LOL). I even found three perfectly healthy seeds that have not germinated so far (and there are probably more in the soil mix).

I suspect the two big red tubers germinated around June 2005 (Winter for us). The yellowish medium size tuber must have germinated one year later (i.e., around June 2006) and the 2 very small ones could be recent 'offsets' of the biggest one.

The tubers will be repotted into a 40 to 50cm deep pot (16 to 19 1/2") at a depth of some 20 cm (8").