Grandiflora Rose
Rosa 'Love'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Love
Additional cultivar information:(PP4437, aka JACtwin)
Hybridized by Warriner
Registered or introduced: 1977

Class:

Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Red blend (rb)

Patent expired

Other Details:

Stems are very thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Willis, Texas

Bellevue, Washington

Kirkland, Washington

On Aug 20, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I bought this for a client who was looking for a red-and-white bicolor that would harmonize with orange. When it came into bloom the color was cerise, a deep reddish pink, closer to hot pink than a true red, and the client, who finds all pinks anathema, rejected it.

Some of the pics here show this color, at least on my computer with its color settings. I find Gabrielle's pics close to what I've observed, and Amarantha's, and Kell's.

This rose has some good points. The contrast between the white petal reverse and the deep pink upper side is dramatic.

But like my client, I personally find the colors harsh and shrill. They definitely won't work in a warm color scheme, but could work with surrounding pinks and purples.

On Mar 1, 2012, Aslan89 from Harlingen, TX wrote:

Beautiful roses most of the year for me here in South Texas but I think this plant file entry may be mistaken by saying (slight to very fragrant) because it has no scent at all. Still a strong grower, help up even when it got a little dry here and the new growth was always a deep red which I love.

On Nov 11, 2010, dontruman from Victoria, TX wrote:

Good flushes spring through early summer and again in the fall. Goes dormant during the high heat of summer in south Texas (July through September). In our warmer climate the blossoms are cherry red on the inside and chalk white on the outside; very distinctive and attractive. As with all hybrid roses in hot climates, deep soak the ground once a week. I recommend using two year fertilizer tablets, preferably organic, for even feeding in areas where they can grow 9+ months a year (Zones 9 and 10). Better than average disease resistance in our highly humid environment.

On Apr 28, 2010, yologardener from Davis, CA wrote:

I planted this rose in my garden last year. It did alright, only having a few blooms, but they colors were fantastic. This year its coming back a little bit stronger. I also noticed that one of the blooms I picked had green margines on the inside of the petals. Yay for color!

On Feb 1, 2010, kcs_mom from Noble County, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

The Love rose that I have in my garden is identical to Gindee77's entry. Lovely clear-cut divisions between bright red and whitest white. I have not observed any pink color. Very special and easy to care for rose. If mine has any scent at all it would be very slight. Zone 5b garden.

On Jun 10, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 4437 has expired

On May 3, 2009, monniemon from Lansdale, PA wrote:

This plant is one of my favorites (I have 62 roses). Here in zone 6 (PA), Love is the plant that keeps giving. Barely a b.s. on it, no mildew either, no problem from the day i put it in. Came through the winter very well with no more than mulch as protection (very winter hardy).

This plant stays red, the color does not fade even on the hottest of summer days. The contrast of red and cream underside make this plant a site to behold. Love last in a vase for some time (great cut flower). Some say there is no scent, but mine has. I was so intrigued by this plant i purchase another, as did my neighbor.

On Apr 13, 2009, Zone6aPA from Central, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

It seems that there are several different cultivars appearing under this heading. The rose I am reviewing is not what I would call a floribunda. It is a grandiflora with the qualities of a hybrid tea (single flower on an upright stem). Mine look like the pictures provided by Gindee77.

This is a wonderful rose for many reasons. The flowers are beautifully shaped from bud to full bloom, and the reverse is very pronounced providing good contrast and visual interest. The petals and foliage are relatively thick, which makes it less susceptible to pests, diseases, and climate fluctuations. New foliage and canes are burgundy in color, which is very interesting. Some have said this rose has no fragrance, but mine are very fragrant, very spicy, which is a pleasant and unusual aroma. ... read more

On May 27, 2005, Kelli from L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Here, reddish pink with white underside. Would be prettier if the color was pure red. No problems with mildew or chlorosis.

On May 16, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a unique rose with it's bright red petals with bright white reverse. It's got a nice form, no fragrance and blooms a lot. It requires winter protection in zone 5.