PlantFiles: Silver Leaf Yucca, Blue Yucca, Palmilla
Yucca rigida

Family: Agavaceae (ah-gav-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Yucca (YUK-uh) (Info)
Species: rigida (RIG-ih-duh) (Info)

Synonym:Yucca rupicola var. rigida

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Cream/Tan

Silver/Gray

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Thumbnail #1 of Yucca rigida by palmbob

Thumbnail #6 of Yucca rigida by Xenomorf

By Xenomorf
Thumbnail #7 of Yucca rigida by Xenomorf

Positive Max64 On Jun 9, 2013, Max64 from Las Vegas, NV (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have one in my yard that thrives extremely well in the Vegas heat and sun. It is a slow grower but I enjoy it every day. It gets full sun up until 3 - 4 pm. It's planted on the South West side of my backyard. I also have a Joshua Tree and 2 Thompsoniana which all thrive well but the Rigida is just strikingly beautiful. Once we get into the 100F+ dry summer heat (June, July, August and early September) I water it at least once a week with several gallons of water. It loves it!. The drainage is very good and I always use the humidity probe to make sure the soil is completely dry before watering. I also check a few days before watering if or when we might get some rain, which is not very often. This applies to all my cactus and other plants. The humidity probe has been one of the cheapest best buys I did for my yard and has taught me a lot about when to water. Some spots will still be moist while others spots bone dry.

Positive Minime8484 On Mar 23, 2009, Minime8484 from Chandler, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

We planted ours as a small (10" diameter) plant in 2004 in our front yard. It is now about 3 1/2 ' in diameter with 3 separate "bunches"; still hasn't gotten a trunk at all. However, much to my surprise, I noticed a bloom stalk is starting to come in from one of the bunches! I thought it would be YEARS until it bloomed for me, as I assumed they didn't bloom until they were well off the ground and were mature enough to have the 'tree' form. What a great surprise!

Positive kdaustin On Sep 25, 2008, kdaustin from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Probably one of the, if not the, most attractive yuccas.
I never get tired of looking at mine, foliage strongly silver blue, with a bold attractive silohette. I grow mine on a slightly raised area to help with drainage in extended rainy periods, as it is sensitive to too much moisture.

Positive Xenomorf On Nov 18, 2004, Xenomorf from Valley of the Sun, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

Yes, I do like the blue tint also. I'll be looking for one for the landscape, no doubt.

Positive palmbob On Jan 16, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Very striking blue-white leaved yucca with minimal branching. Looks a bit like Yucca rostrata, but no variegation of the leaves (though they do have a yellowish edge to the blades), and the leaves a stiffer and more dangerous. Slower growing than a Yucca rostrata, too. From N Mexico

I have found this to be a somewhat difficult plant to acquire and moderately pricey, but a beauty worth the search- very hardy and nearly always excellent looking in cultivation.

Grenoble,