PlantFiles: Large Flowered Climbing Rose
Rosa 'America'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: America
Additional cultivar information: (PP3682, aka JACclam)
Hybridized by Warriner; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1976

Resistant to mildew
Resistant to rust
Stems are very thorny

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #4 of Rosa  by Gindee77

Thumbnail #5 of Rosa  by Gindee77

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by Gindee77

Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by Gindee77

Positive StellaElla On May 10, 2014, StellaElla from Graham, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This rose is very happy along a southern facing fence in my Zone 7b garden. The blooms are a delightful coral pink and abundant, repeating several times though the season. I have not had any trouble with blackspot or powdery mildew. Aphids occasionally mess with the buds but seem to prefer the neighboring "Blue Girl" hybrid tea. Overall I see this rose healthy and happy in my garden for many years to come.

Negative AZ_Alkmaar On Nov 11, 2012, AZ_Alkmaar from Westfield, IN wrote:

Although 'America' is a beautiful rose, it is extremely susceptible to Black spot disease. I have had it for the past three years, and this summer of 2012, it got infected starting May and all summer it had been leafless. I beleive partially it happened because it is planted between two prune bushes and there had been limited air circulation. I will transplant it coming spring and give it another chance, if it continues to get sick, I will dicard it. I do not understand why this plant is listed here as a Black Spot resistant?!....

Positive SerenaSYH On Oct 13, 2009, SerenaSYH from Overland Park-Kansas City, KS wrote:

The blooms of my Climbing America on its very first growing year are HUGE and Gorgeously spiraling classic hybrid tea form. It is one of my most perfectly formed roses. I bought a very healthy prolific own-root from Roses Unlimited and what a wonderful plant it is! Very healthy so far. The blooms form very slowly because each bloom develops a power-pack of petals- huge long-lasting petal formations. I love this rose! It is the only medium-scented rose that I can be enthused about. Usually I ignore/shrug off medium-scented roses, but the color and its perfection of form have made me forget that flaw. Its fragrance is more peppery and is not the typical fruity scent or damask scent.

Neutral Joan On Apr 6, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 3682 has expired
Positive giftedgirl On Apr 6, 2008, giftedgirl from Ozark, MO wrote:

This has been a favorite in my garden since it was first planted. It was a mere foot tall over two years ago, and now it is taller than my house.

It is protected from north winds and is trained against a trellis in a south-facing alcove that receives over a half day of sunlight. My "America" seems to thrive with minimal pruning, although it likes fertilizing & deep watering (never splash the leaves--"America" is susceptible to black spot, which here in humid southern Missouri I inevitably have to treat for every year. Pre-treating helps...try a Bayer product).

This is a lovely, profusely blooming rose that won't stop all season long. Mine blooms late spring through fall and only stops when the first frost hits. I prune dead blooms as needed. I am in Zone 6.

Positive garden6 On Jun 21, 2006, garden6 from Lansing, KS (Zone 5b) wrote:

This rose is doing very well with a heavy mulch cover and light shelter from the wind provided by the trellis. I planted this potted rose during a summer sale. I also added a whole raw egg at the base of the roots during planting. A neighbor shared that this would do wonders for the rose. Seems to be working.

Positive gardener2005 On Jun 25, 2005, gardener2005 from Baton Rouge area, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have two in my zone 8 garden and they do very well provided I hook up the hose attatchment and spray them each week when I water. I seem to have to spray to prevent black spot most all my roses because it is so humid and rains a lot. The Climbing Americas respond well and have beautiful large glossy leaves and very full fragrant clove scented flowers.

Positive Gindee77 On May 16, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This was my very first climber and it's done beautifully. It survives winter with protection and blooms a lot. The only draw back is that it tends to get black spot late in the season.

Positive springlover On May 22, 2004, springlover from Franklin, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

This was one of the very first roses I planted here in Southern Michigan. It is hardy, and has beautiful coral/salmon colored blooms with mimimal scent. Unfortunately, I found somewhere that it only blooms in spring and fall...don't know why, unless it isn't getting enought sun thru the summer. It does hate pruning and needs winter protection here. In spring I only clip off dead tips. I once had a cane on it at least 15' tall!
This spring I thought it died, so cut it down to about 6" off the ground. I've pampered it and fertilized it with all my "rose stuff", and now it is nearly 3' tall with buds!
Good luck with it!

Neutral flwrlvr On May 21, 2004, flwrlvr from Sargent, NE wrote:

The original builder of my current country residence loved plants and trees (there are several fruit trees and I have "discovered" old flowerbeds and other treasures) but the last few owners/tenents didn't care much for that kind of thing, so there's lots of work. While turning soil for a flower spot, I uncovered a rose tag, and immediately set forth to find out about it.
It is a small round metal tag (about the size of a dog's ID tag), and the brand appears to be Armstrong Roses. Stamped into it in raised letters is: CLAMERICA (JACCLAM). Inscribed above it is: CLIMBING and below the name, the PL. PAT. NO.: 3682. Also, printed on the tag is the statement: "Asexual reproduction of this patented plant without license is prohibited."
I do not know if this rose grew well here, was transplanted, or if the tag somehow came to be in the yard without a plant, but I'm hoping to find photos of what the place originally looked like, and maybe I'll see it and be able to report more.

Neutral Karenn On Jan 18, 2004, Karenn from Mount Prospect, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This climber is hardy to Zone 5 (with protection from heavy wind & mulching in winter).

Positive suncatcheracres On Jan 17, 2004, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I've been looking for a climbing light salmon or coral pink rose that will do well in Northcentral Florida for quite a while, and I found a bare root one on a table in front of a local feed store yesterday. The owner says he sells this brand every year and never gets anything but praises from customers, so I planted my fairly hefty bare root rose with unslightly bare stems into the ground today, as the package said "Plant Me Now." I've been told I can plant practically anything here in zone 8b, as long as the ground isn't frozen.

The label says: "Climbing America, everblooming climbing rose with salmon colored blooms that have a silvery sheen and spicy fragrance. Unusually vigorous plant. Disease resistant and winter hardy."

My Sunset Rose book says it is a large flowered climber developed in 1976, a coral pink color, and an All America Rose Selection, and that "beautiful buds and large, full, highly fragrant, coral-pink blooms of the best hybrid tea form adorn these vigorous plants throughout the season. Can be grown upright, as a pillar rose." It has a high rating of 8.2 (out of 10) from the American Rose Society, says my Ortho Rose Book, and the plant has dark, leathery leaves, is moderately tall and disease resistant, is hardy, and easy to grow. What more can one ask of a rose?

My Southern Living Garden Book describes tea roses in general as "elegant, virtually everblooming, relatively tender roses best in the Lower, Coastal and Tropical South. Plants are long lived, building on old wood and disliking heavy pruning. Flowers are in pastel shades . . . in crosses with hybrid perpetuals, tea roses were parents of the first hybrid teas."

This rose was planted in my "pink bed," placed to climb up a deciduous tree, where it will blend with tall Confederate roses, a red bud tree, an Oriental pink saucer magnolia, pink cannas and Sweet William, and some yellow and white perennials interspersed to break up too much pink monotony, all backed with George Tabor light pink flowered large evergreen Southern Indica azaleas. I garden under heavy shade from ancient live oaks, but this flower bed is in one of my sunniest spots with about a half day of sun, mostly in the early afternoon. I can't wait to see it in full bloom.

Redding, California