Italian Bugloss, Italian Alkanet, Summer Forget-Me-Not 'Dropmore'

Anchusa azurea

Family: Boraginaceae
Genus: Anchusa (an-KOO-suh) (Info)
Species: azurea (a-ZOOR-ee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Dropmore

Norristown, Pennsylvania

Belfair, Washington

White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia

On Feb 16, 2015, rhpfman from Lompoc, CA wrote:

Pretty flowers but scratchy unattractive leaves that can literally burn and scar your skin. Not terribly invasive (that is it doesn't travel far) but difficult to eradicate. Make sure you plant it where you want it and if you want it out of your garden, make sure you get every part of the root system!

On Feb 25, 2012, Cocoa1904 from Abilene, KS wrote:

This plant is stunning when it blooms the second year. The flowers are a very brilliant blue. I would recommend providing support for the bloom stalks, especially in a windy area.

On Apr 21, 2009, CatskillDeb from Oneonta, NY (Zone 4a) wrote:

Planted 3 as seedlings from mail-order. They grew as short coarse leaves in first year and in second year sent up stalks with incredible long-lasting blooms, like delphiniums on steroids! Didn't come back for year three; possibly crown rot. Seems to be short-lived plant, but oh so worth it. I now have another set of anchusa that came thru their first winter fine and should bloom this year. I plan to plant it every year so I always have it.

On Jun 24, 2006, bulbhound from Dallas, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

still hasnt sent out bloom shoots 6/23/06 but leaves are strong and robust sting like thistles! will update when it blooms

On Mar 13, 2005, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have 'Dropmore' in my garden. I don't know if it has survive our last very wet and cold winter. I 've grown "Loddon Royalist' before and it has suddenly disappaered after three years... I guess they are not long-living perennials..
'Dropmore' is flowering in shades of dark purple blue. In my experience A. azurea needs support..the flowerheads get so heavy from flowers and seeds...they 'll flop. I also cut them down a little mid-summer to make the stems less heavy and help to rebloom...otherwise you 'll end with lots of finished blooms and a few flowers in top. I 've found it impossible to replant a mature plant. They have thick very fleshy roots. Not like the annual Anchusa it does 'nt selfseed a lot....
Handling the plants causes with me skin irritation. Bees and butterfli... read more