PlantFiles: Italian Bugloss, Italian Alkanet, Summer Forget-Me-Not
Anchusa azurea 'Dropmore'

Family: Boraginaceae
Genus: Anchusa (an-KOO-suh) (Info)
Species: azurea (a-ZOOR-ee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Dropmore

Thumbnail #5 of Anchusa azurea by CatskillDeb

By Cville_Gardener
Thumbnail #6 of Anchusa azurea by Cville_Gardener

Positive Cocoa1904 On Feb 25, 2012, Cocoa1904 from Abilene, KS wrote:

This plant is stunning when it blooms the second year. The flowers are a very brilliant blue. I would recommend providing support for the bloom stalks, especially in a windy area.

Positive CatskillDeb On Apr 21, 2009, CatskillDeb from Oneonta, NY (Zone 4a) wrote:

Planted 3 as seedlings from mail-order. They grew as short coarse leaves in first year and in second year sent up stalks with incredible long-lasting blooms, like delphiniums on steroids! Didn't come back for year three; possibly crown rot. Seems to be short-lived plant, but oh so worth it. I now have another set of anchusa that came thru their first winter fine and should bloom this year. I plan to plant it every year so I always have it.

Neutral bulbhound On Jun 24, 2006, bulbhound from Dallas, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

still hasnt sent out bloom shoots 6/23/06 but leaves are strong and robust sting like thistles! will update when it blooms

Positive saya On Mar 13, 2005, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have 'Dropmore' in my garden. I don't know if it has survive our last very wet and cold winter. I 've grown "Loddon Royalist' before and it has suddenly disappaered after three years... I guess they are not long-living perennials..
'Dropmore' is flowering in shades of dark purple blue. In my experience A. azurea needs support..the flowerheads get so heavy from flowers and seeds...they 'll flop. I also cut them down a little mid-summer to make the stems less heavy and help to rebloom...otherwise you 'll end with lots of finished blooms and a few flowers in top. I 've found it impossible to replant a mature plant. They have thick very fleshy roots. Not like the annual Anchusa it does 'nt selfseed a lot....
Handling the plants causes with me skin irritation. Bees and butterflies just love this big 'Forget-me-not'...it 's always very very buzzy on this plant. It loves sun but 'll take a little shade too. I love it because it provides a big blue mass in my garden.
In my experience these can be propagated by seed..I 've got equal plants from seed.

Beacon Falls, Connecticut