Japanese Persimmon, Oriental Persimmon, Sharon Fruit, Kaki
Diospyros kaki 'Fuyu'

Family: Ebenaceae (eb-en-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Diospyros (dy-oh-SPY-ros) (Info)
Species: kaki (KAH-kee) (Info)
Cultivar: Fuyu

Manhattan Beach, California

Sacramento, California

Salinas, California

Lecanto, Florida

Merritt Island, Florida (2 reports)

Orlando, Florida

Needville, Texas

Plano, Texas

Santa Fe, Texas

On Aug 14, 2009, robbdogr from Long Beach, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I grow "Giant Fuyu." Really large fruit, almost softball size sometimes. Started producing two years after planting from a 5 gallon can. The taste is okay, but not great. We have had it about 5 years.

I would say the taste and texture of the neighbor's "Fuyu" (not Giant...) is superior to "Giant Fuyu." To get a sweet taste it has to soften more than Fuyu. My kids prefer the neighbor's variety with a crisp apple like texture and lightly sweet taste. I may take my tree out and plant the basic Fuyu.

The neighbors tree produces hundreds of fruit in October and has beautiful fall foliage. Highly recommend Fuyu for SoCal.

On Apr 3, 2009, hk1972 from Henderson, NV wrote:

If you're looking for small pumpkin-like fruits with beautiful large, orange-color leaves in the fall, this is it. We live in Henderson, NV (zone 9a) and have had much success with the persimmon tree.

Tastes like a very sweet, but harder cantaloupe. Just not as juicy. For my toddler son, he keeps coming back for more. You just need to cut off the stem and skin, then into wedges. No seeds in ours. Our tree yields about 300 fruits, and will be increasing as the years go by. This tree loves water. In fact, I'm glad the irrigation line broke and that my husband has not had the time to fix the leak.

Early in the growing season, I wrap my fruits individually, or in clusters, with net fabric that you can find at the fabric stores. Then, I use twine to tie th... read more

On Jun 26, 2006, angel8 from San Antonio, TX wrote:

make sure you plant this fruit tree in part shade, this young tree is barely making it in this high temp and humitidy here in san antonio.

On Nov 8, 2004, punaheledp from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

I had always thought persimmons were pretty nasty til my son was given a "fuyu" and talked me into trying it. WONDERFUL fruit. Recommend eating when fruit is still very firm, we don't peel it.

On Oct 28, 2004, soilsandup from Sacramento, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

A bumper crop of fruit this year - really nice sized ones too. Must number in the hundreds this year. I keep it trimmed to about 8 feet tall so that I can reach the fruits - resulting in a more shrub-shaped plant than a tree. I am amazed that many people have never eaten a persimmon before. What I do now is to peel and cut one so that the person I am giving them to can try them on the spot. They are ususally hooked.

On Jun 19, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

A friend in our village has one of these persimmons in his yard. The fruit are wonderful and I look forward to a bag of it each year as a gift from him.

I use them in all kinds of different recipes....including adding one to a salsa once....delicious!

On Jun 18, 2004, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I purchased a young tree in early spring and was told by the seller that I'd have fruit this year. Clemson Extension Service website said this tree would grow and bear fruit in our Zone 8a climate, but I won't add my Zip code to the area where the tree grows until it survives its first winter. The fruit is absolutely, positively delicious and sweet, so good it's almost addictive. Be sure to check the Garden Watchdog before purchasing this tree from an on-line nursery.

Edited 6/27/06 to comment that, by golly, the tree did bear fruit last year and is again loaded with fruit this year. My Fuyu fruit isn't as sweet as fruit I've purchased that was grown in Israel but I still enjoyed it. This year, I'll leave the fruit on the tree for a longer p... read more

On Jun 17, 2004, trois from Santa Fe, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is a young plant, but the first year it produced several very delicious fruits. Last year only 2. This year there are about 25. This fruit is similar to a ripe Mango, but sweeter. The flavor is distinctive. My mouth waters thinking ahead to fall.

Trois