PlantFiles: Encore Azalea
Rhododendron 'Autumn Empress'

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhododendron (roh-do-DEN-dron) (Info)
Cultivar: Autumn Empress
Additional cultivar information: (PBR, PT3768 & P12109; EncoreAzalea series, aka Conles)

» View all varieties of Azaleas and Rhododendrons

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Late Fall/Early Winter

Shiny/Glossy-Textured
Good Fall Color

By htop
Thumbnail #1 of Rhododendron  by htop

By amyferg
Thumbnail #2 of Rhododendron  by amyferg

Positive Victorine72 On Mar 28, 2010, Victorine72 from Richmond, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I planted this mid-summer last year in a fairly dry area of my garden in a temporary location. I knew I wanted this variety and had to buy it before its intended bed was ready because it was the last Autumn Empress left at my local garden center. I tried to keep it watered in the temp location, but like every other busy summer gardener, I didn't take care of it as well I as I should have. It was wilted more often than it was turgid. I was pretty sure it would be DOA this spring, thanks to the additional stress from the brutal winter we had this year. No matter, though. I transplanted it a few weeks ago and it looks terrific. I wouldn't recommend treating your Autumn Empress as badly as I did last summer, but if you do, the little buggers seem to be rather tolerant of drought and abuse.

Positive brucehenderson On Jul 8, 2007, brucehenderson from Shreveport, LA wrote:

I have most of the Encores. This one has finer texture, but taller size. Definitely more upright than spreading. A bit slower to get established and 'take off'. Nice pink bloom, medium green foliage.
[ A. Carnival has similar flower and texture, but smaller, more spreading. A. Princess definitely more orange/pink and darker foliage w/ bronze fall color.]

Neutral htop On Jan 19, 2004, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

(San Antonio, Tx.)
I have not grown this plant myself, so I must give it a neutral rating. 'Autumn Empress', has an upright, thick growth habit (4 feet tall and 3 feet wide) with large deep, green leaves. It produces semi-double, deep pink 2.25 inch to 2.75 inch in diameter blooms. It starts to bloom a little later in the spring than do most azaleas. These new patented azaleas bloom approximately every three months (early spring, late spring, early summer, late summer, mid to late fall) until the first hard freeze. Some sources state that they bloom all year long.

It requires full sun with afternoon shade or light shade and well drained, slightly acidic rich soil. Shrubs planted after mid-July should not be fertilized until after the last frost. The developers of this azalea state that it is drought tolerant, but I have to see this to believe it. It is supposed to have a fast growth rate.

This plant sounds so good, I am going to buy one and test it out.

Mobile, Alabama