PlantFiles: English Pea
Pisum sativum 'Little Marvel'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pisum (PEES-um) (Info)
Species: sativum (sa-TEE-vum) (Info)
Cultivar: Little Marvel

Thumbnail #4 of Pisum sativum by TuttiFrutti

By nifty413
Thumbnail #5 of Pisum sativum by nifty413

Positive Gabrielle On Feb 5, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This pea did really well in my garden. I like to plant them to snack on while I work outside. Other varieties I have tried in the past barely had a chance to produce before hot weather hit, but these outdid themselves.

One of my son's favorite foods is peas, and I think it is because of him having helped me plant and harvest them since he was a toddler.

Positive TuttiFrutti On Jul 13, 2005, TuttiFrutti from Spokane Valley, WA (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is my first year for growing Little Marvel peas. As with the Alaska peas we're also growing for the first time, I was unprepared when the shortest vines were twice the height suggested on the seed packet (ours reached 30-36").

We're over half-way through the harvest after having made three separate plantings timed a couple or so weeks apart. We really enjoy their sweet flavor when eaten raw; haven't tried cooking them yet.

Positive Farmerdill On Jan 19, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Little Marvel is an oldtime early wrinkled seeded pea. It was grown extensively in my youth but Blue Bantam, Early Bird and Frosty are superior in my opinion. It grows a short vine, yields reasonably well and has good flavor.

Eureka, California