Chinese Pear, Japanese Pear, Asian Pear, Sand Pear
Pyrus pyrifolia 'Shinseiki'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pyrus (PY-russ) (Info)
Species: pyrifolia (py-rih-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Shinseiki
Additional cultivar information:(aka New Century)
Synonym:Pyrus serotina

Radford, Virginia

Virginia Beach, Virginia

Spanaway, Washington

On Aug 17, 2015, RobertCrandall from Capac, MI wrote:

We have 13 varieties of pears. This is everyone's favorite! I like all of the Asian pears but this one gets talked about the most. It has a sweet, crisp fresh taste and there is a horizontal line about 1/3 of the way from the bottom that tastes like lemons. We have no other fruit that has both sweet and sour at once. Very unique.

We had our coldest winter in history last year so there were no pears that set. I bought some from the store and they were horrible. Anyone who tries to compare store bought pears to fresh is really missing a treat.

On Nov 6, 2013, mcgerm from Galesburg, MI wrote:

I got a good crop of mid-sized sweet and juicy fruit. The tree received thinning three times to avoid breaking branches, but the yield was still about 1/2 a bushel.

This tree was only three years in the and was planted as a very small tree. (Pic if of the tree just after flowering this Spring.)

On Oct 12, 2007, BWhitman from Pensacola, FL wrote:

Have found the brewing of the leaves (YES! TEA) has holistic health benefits.

On Apr 24, 2004, ALICIADUFFY from Virginia Beach, VA wrote:

I have a tree that has been espaliered (branches trained to grow straight out, possibly along a trellis or wall). Last year was my first year with this. I had so many pears that I had to remove some in order to keep the branches from breaking. This year it is still early and I have so many pears coming out that I have not even counted. The bark is rather pretty and the flowers are bright crispy white.

On Jan 20, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Again, this report is on the dwarf version. This one looks very much like a Yellow Delicious apple. It is about the same size and color but has slight speckles. It yields well and has excellent texture and flavor. It grew well in Radford. Here in Georgia, I ran into fireblight and have unable to reestablish asian pears.