Standing Cypress, Scarlet Gilia
Ipomopsis rubra

Family: Polemoniaceae (po-le-moh-nee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomopsis (ip-oh-MOP-sis) (Info)
Species: rubra (ROO-bruh) (Info)
Synonym:Gilia rubra

Biennials

Red-Orange

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Fort Payne, Alabama

Ardmore, Oklahoma

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

Rock Hill, South Carolina

Arlington, Texas

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Copperas Cove, Texas

De Leon, Texas

Desoto, Texas

Dripping Springs, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Garland, Texas

Merrill, Wisconsin

Pewaukee, Wisconsin

negative

On Aug 19, 2014, FlyPoison from Rock Hill, SC (Zone 7a) wrote:

A lovely SE native that I enjoy growing with many other wildflowers. I normally reseed my wildflower garden every 2 years regardless, but my standing cypress never seems to reseed on it's own. It's probably because I grow it among such a diverse group of wildflowers where competition for resources is quite fierce.

On Jun 5, 2014, CindiSS from Trenton

I started with about 10 seeds 5 or 6 years ago, it reseeds every year for me and acts as a biennial. I never water it, never stake it, never mess with it. I now have the odd patch coming up in various parts of my 3 acres. I love this plant and it is not invasive at all in my area!

On May 22, 2011, jenlit from Weatherford, TX wrote:

I got seeds from a friend last year and scattered the seeds in my flower bed last fall. Right now I have three 4' plants (one is blooming) with three more coming up. I live in Peaster, TX, where they grow wild by the roadside.

On Jul 19, 2010, MaryNeedsSleep from Morgantown, WV wrote:

I've grown it as an annual in Zone 6 for the past 2 years. The first year, I started it early and then transplanted it, which worked fine. The plants all bloomed that year but did not survive the winter. This spring I noticed that the plants reseeded themselves, including outside their bed (but not in an invasive way; they were easy to ID and pull). Those plants are all blooming now. Mine only get to 3 or 4 feet tall.Very pretty in groups at the back of the border.

On Feb 15, 2010, sherrymarie from Weatherford, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

We're in North Central Texas. This plant is growing wild on the south side of my yard, six feet away from a tall fence. Mine is scattered under a half dead oak tree but I'm sure it gets full sun. Plus I've NEVER watered it in three years. I leave that side of the yard unmowen until late fall.

Last fall I did go out and shake the seed heads. This year I'll try to save some seed. I haven't tried before but I guess all the neighbors have and no one has had luck getting it started. They've all asked me the name and now I have one to give them.

On Jan 13, 2010, cam2 from Houston, TX wrote:

This is a gorgeous wild flower that grows in N.Central-North Texas area - mostly where scrub & liveoak thrive. There is a large area along a railroad track that captures my attention every year!

On Dec 26, 2009, marasri from Dripping Springs, TX wrote:

I adore this plant. I water it just a tiny bit when the ground warms up in the spring and in September if the fall rains don't come. This is to insure germination, otherwise these are care free gorgeous plants that have been growing from the donated handful of seed that was given to me 10 years ago. I love their lanky rhythm. I like how some are sort and some are 6 feet , some straight and some leaning over. They have been very good to me. There is a source for a yellow orange variant on them that I am lusting for.

On May 24, 2009, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

planted mine inground in partial shade and dead in 2 weeks. will not replace.

On Feb 7, 2009, jmorth from Divernon, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Self seeder. Excellent companion plant to white flowers, nicotiana in particular.

On Feb 5, 2008, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Standing Cypress Ipomopsis rubra, is a beautiful wildflower native to Texas and other States.

On Sep 26, 2007, chaosmosis from Chattanooga, TN wrote:

I planted about 20-30 seeds in situ in early spring March 2007 in a full sun location. We had the late spring freeze like many and we have had a terrible drought and heat over 95 degrees for more than 6 weeks this summer so it's been a struggle to get anything to grow yet the Standing Cypress seedlings have been thriving! They have been receiving regular watering yet other plants in the same place in the garden haven't thrived like these little things. There are about 20+ plants now and they all range in height from about 1-2 ft so far. One plant put out one lone bloom day before yesterday and a hummingbird visited it. I hope they start blooming more into the Fall season now and stay as a perennial in our garden.

On Mar 24, 2006, penpen from North Tonawanda, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I wintersowed seeds of Ipomopsis Rubra (Standing Cypress) for the first time in 2005 and will never be without it in my hummer garden. It grew quickly and flowered from June until the end of summer. I am hoping that mine will either come back or reseed this year. I also have more seed wintersown for this season. They do best in a mass planting since they are so tall (3 -5 ft) and top heavy especially once they begin to bloom. They are carefree and drought tolerant once established and make a good companion plant to salvias and agastaches. I plant mine behind my salvias and agastaches. Depending on your growing conditions it can be an annual, perennial or biennial. It can also reseed. It is a southeast native wildflower.

On Jun 10, 2004, mnflowers from Moorhead, MN wrote:

I have been growing cypress for over 5 years. I received my first ones from my mother in the Rapid City, SD area, who
received hers from a neighbor who brought them back from Arizona. They are a unique plant in this area, but really seem to flourish. Below are some pictures from last year and pictures from the new ones this year. My neighbor and I just let them spread as you can tell by the plants of this spring.

On Apr 24, 2004, Grannyact from Westfield, IA wrote:

When I moved in 1968 to a farm house in NW Iowa, this tall red flowering biennial plant was growing in the yard. My sister-in-law from Sioux Falls SD collected seeds and grew it for years. Mine died out and I also moved and in 1989 she gave me seeds back. I saved the seeds and a few years later gave some to my mother and she grew them and gave seeds back to me, now in 2004 I have them growing again. We live in zone 4. I never knew the name. I told a gardening friend of mine about it and gave her some plants. She found it in a nursery in NE last summer and just gave me the name. I found information on the internet and is interesting to read about it. I have had humming birds come to it also. I have never seen it anywhere else, and I am excited to know its name, Ipomopsis Rubra.

On Jan 25, 2004, ButterflyGardnr from Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I got my first standing cypress plants in spring of '03 as tiny seedlings (rosettes). I lost one before it even got in the ground, but the other 3 made it. The plants shot up very quickly forming a tall stalk like on a liatris. I recommend staking these as they will fall over otherwise.

Mine started blooming around June and is still blooming now (January). Supposedly there is an annual form and a biennial form. I have no idea which this one is as of yet.

This is a very striking red flower. I haven't noticed any butterflies nectaring and I have yet to even see a hummer in Central FL, but b'flies and hummers are supposed to love these. I have not had to provide any special care for these plants beyond the initial watering to get them rooted and establ... read more