Marmalade Bush, Orange Browallia
Streptosolen jamesonii

Genus: Streptosolen (strep-toh-SOH-len) (Info)
Species: jamesonii (jay-mess-OWN-ee-eye) (Info)

Orange

Pepeekeo, Hawaii

Longview, Texas

negative

On Jun 22, 2014, Tucsongirl1 from Tucson, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

I purchased 2 Streptosolen jamesonii plants in March 2014. A week after receiving them, I potted them and put them in hanging planters on my back porch. They almost immediately started to grow, and within only a few weeks they began to bloom. Keep in mind we had a very warm "winter" and it was in the 80's when I got them. My back porch gets intense and direct sun in the summer (May-July) in the morning (6am-10am), and again in the late afternoon. When the full force of heat and sun hit my little babies in May they started to fail. First the blooms dried up and died. Then the plants themselves started to brown and dry up.

The nursery I purchased them from indicated that the plants like to be warm and in filtered sunlight. I hoped they could handle the 100+ temperatu... read more

On Jul 29, 2012, VaMtnDude from Basye, VA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Okay, so what is the trick to getting this darn plant to bloom? I started mine from seed a couple years ago. I've got three of them in a big hanging basket, and three in a window box on my deck rail. Since they're not hardy here, I bring them inside over the winter. They've grown into huge, lush plants but they've never gotten even *one* single bloom. During the summer, I feed them with Miracle Gro Bloom Booster a couple times a month, but still nothing. They get about six hours of direct sunlight, the most I can provide since I live in the woods. They're on my list of plants that I "threaten" by telling them, "If you don't bloom this year, you're toast!" If anyone can tell me how to get them to bloom, please send me a private message. Thanks!