PlantFiles: Shrub Rose
Rosa 'Morden Blush'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Morden Blush
Additional cultivar information: (PP8054, aka Blush)
Hybridized by Collicutt; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1988

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by chardon

By pradamary
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by pradamary

Positive predler On Jun 18, 2012, predler from Missoula, MT wrote:

My daughter grows this beautiful rose on the North side of her house, but has had no trouble with black spot. Maybe it likes the shade. It is the darker pink shown in the first picture on the website. Our Zone is 4b, but our soil ph is 7.0 to 7.5 overall. Have not tested hers specifically. She also has trouble with leafcutter bees and uses a rose powder frequently.

Positive firsthays On Jun 18, 2011, firsthays from Grande Prairie AB

I have had 2 of these bushes in my east facing bed here in a 2b Zone! Both have survived the winter and are about to bloom again (mid June now) . I am in love with this hardy and proficient rose. It was blooming well into the fall, and even after the first snow fall a few more blooms opened at the end of October!

The color is soft and very Victorian creamy pink and ivory..a cluster of roses was bending over the stems even this last summer...a very nice shrubed sized rose in my garden, there was I must add only snow to protect it most of the winter, where it reached -45*C for 4 days solid this January..and these roses bounced back this spring ready to go :) I highly suggest this rose to anyone!!
Carmen in Grande Prairie AB Canada

Positive MilesBFree On Nov 10, 2009, MilesBFree from Fort Mill, SC wrote:

Color: Ours are the classic white with pink center coloring, which is what most of the pictures here show. Some of the pics show an almost solid pink color, which is not how ours flower. I fertilized with an all-purpose flower and rose hardware store fertilizer (not at home so I can't say what the ratio is), and they have now started flowering a much deeper pink in the centers but still white on the edges. The pink center is now also larger. It is a more attention-grabbing coloration now, but I think I prefer the more subdued look. The color will likely fade next spring as the fertilizer is used up.

Black spot: Ours do have some on leaves, appearing as the leaves mature. I have been spraying them with diluted neem oil, which seems to help but not entirely cure it. Not sure if this is sort of a chronic condition that the roses can live with, or if it will eventually do them in. Can anyone tell me if the roses will just live like this or if I should look for a different treatment?

Positive Loess01 On Oct 30, 2007, Loess01 from Atalissa, IA wrote:

I have 3 or these that I first planted 2 years ago. This is one of the hardiest roses I've found yet! It has survived our hot humid summers, our rather sandy soil (yes - I did add a LOT of organic matter before planting them), and even with no protection made it through last winter's ice storm which took out several of my other plants.

This rose is not immune to black spot. The first year after planting I battled with that constantly. At that time they were planted in full sun with lots of room to breathe and they even had a nice clean mulch to keep the rain from splattering dirt all over them.

I was forced to transplant them in the middle of their growing season this year. The only spot I had for them is shady until late in the morning. I had no time to make soil amendments, and didn't mulch them after transplanting. In spite of this, they are now doing much better, have grown in leaps and bounds, and flowered nonstop. Best of all, the black spot completely disappeared. And the latter half of this summer was one of our wettest ever.

Mine always bloom a delicate shell pink which fades to an off-white color, but still very pretty.

Positive desertwillow On Oct 6, 2007, desertwillow from Tooele, UT wrote:

My beautiful Morden Blush Rosa has been planted here in the dry alkaline soil of Stansbury Park for 2 years. It has survived 2 very hot summers and and 1 very cold winter in a shrub rose garden circle on the north and east back yard of the house, mostly morning sun, but hot blistering mid-mornings. It has grown to 2 feet high, 2 feet wide. It blooms sporadically throughout the spring/summer/fall months with double pink blooms that turn pearl white at maturity. Purchased through High Country Nursery Jensen Utah as a substitute for "out of stock" Rosa Nearly Wild.

Neutral Redkarnelian On Nov 7, 2006, Redkarnelian from Newmarket, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

Canadian-bred Parkland series rose.

Positive chahn On Jun 27, 2006, chahn from anchorage, AK (Zone 4a) wrote:

This rose has been in my garden for two years. It is very happy and about 3 feet tall. It is covered with blooms that have just begun to open. It is growing against the south side of my house.

Positive dcarlton On Apr 28, 2005, dcarlton from Omaha, NE wrote:

This rose was chosen as the favorite Canadian shrub rose by the Canadian Rose Society and got a five-star rating in "Growing Roses in Cold Climates" by Olson, Whitman, and Rickard. As well as being hardy, it is also heat-tolerant. Flower color lightens with higher temperatures during bud formation. Mine usually has light pink blossoms, but they have been ivory in really hot weather.

Positive shortcm On Jul 15, 2004, shortcm from Wilmington, DE (Zone 7b) wrote:

My experience with Morden has been similar, except for color. She's a few feet out from a north facing wall, and is the darker pink pictured. A friend has one in almost total shade (north of house, tall oaks above) and gets blooms.

It's a keeper for me; I may be partial to her name as my daughter's name is a variant - Morgan.

Positive llebpmac_bob On Jun 29, 2004, llebpmac_bob from Zephyr

Very hardy plant, overwinters in my Zone 4a garden with only a little damage at the tips of the branches. It is not overly afflicted with black spot but I wouldn't say it was free from it either.
Excellent flower form. When it is fully open it resembles some of the Austin English roses. Blooms quite heavily. The colour in the first picture supplied is too dark-the flowers in my garden at least are just barely pink. I've actually seen it listed as a white rose, and it is certainly much closer to white than the old rose pink it appears in some pictures. Mine, after two years, is really not much more than 2 ft tall.

Anchorage, Alaska
Farmington, Maine
South Easton, Massachusetts
Granite Falls, Minnesota
Luverne, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota (2 reports)
Missoula, Montana