Tazetta Narcissus, Paperwhite Daffodil, Paperwhites
Narcissus 'Ziva'

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Narcissus (nar-SIS-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Ziva
Hybridized by Yahel-Weijers
Registered or introduced: 1997
» View all varieties of Daffodils

Division:

Division 8 - Tazetta

Late Fall/Early Winter

Mid Winter

Flowers are good for cutting

Provides winter interest

Columbia, South Carolina

Knoxville, Tennessee

Arlington, Texas

Orange, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Norfolk, Virginia

negative

On Nov 20, 2011, coastalzonepush from Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

One of my favorite bulbs, paperwhites never fail to impress me. the bulbs can produce so many blooms and they are much more exotic than the everyday daffodil. i might be allergic but since im not sure, i wont blame paperwhites. the smell isnt very noticeable if theyre planted with other flowering plants.

On Feb 1, 2010, BloomingNewYork from New York, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Yes I do enjoy this plant and its marvelous flowers. It's hard for me to believe that I've successfully grown this bulb in my zone, which is just about 7 since I live on Long Island and still part of the 5 boros. This is a very delicate and beautiful flower and the blooms looked like specks of snow floating in my garden. they flowered in early April and were warmed all winter against the brick wall. Any gardener in my area ahould give them a try if they have a sunny winter site that is consistently warmed by brick etc. This plant is supposed to be a very tender one but they did work for me last season and Im trying them again.

On Jan 23, 2009, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Bought some for forcing indoors in Dec 2008. They were a bargain at $0.10 ea. What a cheerful display to have indoors, but beware: the closer you get to the blooms, the more unpleasant the fragrance. When mine are spent I will plant inground outdoors and hopefully they will naturalize.

Dec 2009. Planted inground in Spring 2009, after blooms were spent, and they're starting to bloom in Jan 2010.

On Jan 11, 2009, Ga_Wildflower from Quitman, GA wrote:

These were present in the yard when we bought our home 2 years ago and they were a lovely suprise when they bloomed.

We have since bought more and planted them around some crape myrtles to add some beauty to the leafless trees as they are very bland this time of the year.

I love the delicate white flowers and that they are easy to grow.

On Nov 10, 2008, ladychroe from Bridgewater, NJ wrote:

I grew these indoors by forcing them in a vase with pebbles and water. It was very easy to grow this way, but the water must not touch the bulbs, or they will rot.

They were very pretty, but VERY fragrant, and we found the fragrance to be indescribably horrendous. It permeated the entire house. We wound up putting them on the back porch, where they were promptly frostbitten, which was fine with us. We will not purchase them again.

On Aug 13, 2007, Opoetree from Oak View, CA wrote:

I have had these flowers growing in my garden for over forty years. I have always loved them...loved the perfume! We grew them in Shafter, California, where I was growing up and now I have them in Oak View. In Shafter, it seemed they waited for springtime to bloom, but here in Oak View (the Ojai Valley), it seems that they always like to bloom just before Christmas. So easy to care for...great bulbs! Wonderful flowers.

On Feb 6, 2003, jumsmith wrote:

This was my first flower i have grown indoors and i have to say it was very easy from start to finish. The smell from these flowers was a surprise it has a smell that is unique. Grow them and you will find out what i mean. They really don't have much needs. When first starting to sprout i would water them in the morning and set in sun all day, then would give them another mist of water at the end of the day and take them out of the light. I found that it was very easy to self-pollinate them. I was not sure it was going to work at first, but now i have successfully gotten seeds from these flowers. I have not tried bulb cutting because i have forced these to bloom so i belive from what i have read that they will not bloom again. But i'm not saying it can be done i have not tried yet. ... read more