Carpathian Walnut, English Walnut, Persian Walnut

Juglans regia

Family: Juglandaceae (joo-glan-DAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Juglans (JOO-glanz) (Info)
Species: regia (REE-jee-uh) (Info)

Edible Fruits and Nuts

over 40 ft. (12 m)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Pale Green

Malibu, California

Oak View, California

Lenore, Idaho

Noblesville, Indiana (2 reports)

Owosso, Michigan

Jayess, Mississippi

Apple Creek, Ohio

Glenmoore, Pennsylvania

Arlington, Texas

Tomah, Wisconsin

On Jun 27, 2015, littleminx from nottinghamshire
United Kingdom wrote:

hi im in the uk and never used a forum before soi hope im asking this question in the right place,my late mother gave me a twig about 9 years ago and told me to plant it,.nothing really happened for a couple of years then she died and it startedto grow inow have a walnut tree thats never been pruned or touch and stands about 14 foot high, my neighbour complain about canopy - how do i go about pruning it as and when and would i be able to stunt its growth soi it stays a maximum of this hight as its close to the house too, i assumed when mum gave it me it was another minature apple tree [please help im only just learning about gardening as my late hubby was the one who loved the garden i just reaped the rewards

On Sep 19, 2007, prilley from Tomah, WI wrote:

The tree is approxiamtely 16 years olsd from a seedling. It is finally starting to bear, but I have only one tree. I had to wrap the one nut in mesh to prevent tne grey and black squirrels from getting it. The nuts look amazingly like an English walnut. Tree is hardy here in the 4b zone. I wish that I had planted numerous ones now!

On Sep 25, 2006, gunworks from Noblesville, IN wrote:

After six years of growth Fall of 2006 was first year for limited production (six pods on three trees). Trees have attained height of 15-18 ft. with trunks 6-9" in diameter. Pods began to spit the third week in September. Nuts have been collected and need to dry out/cure as they have not yet developed full flavor. Trees are easy to grow and produce waxy dark green foilage, ideal for shade. Must prune suckers early on and then only as needed.