European Plum, Damson, Bullace
Prunus domestica

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Prunus (PROO-nus) (Info)
Species: domestica (doh-MESS-tik-a) (Info)
Synonym:Prunus domestica var. institita

Troy, Virginia

negative

On Sep 3, 2013, cinemike from CREZIERES
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

These trees - the original domestica 'variety' grow wild here in central France. I have three mature/fruiting specimens growing round the perimeter of my garden, but they have been neglected - mainly by previous owners, but also by me, out of ignorance.

This year there was a bumper crop due, probably, to the relatively wet early summer. Fruit seem sour until just before they fall off the tree. They are very, very good for jam (stone and process the fruit), even better for chutney (see http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/chutney/spic... ), and good for bottling in syrup.

The main problem is the Plum moth who lays her eggs on... read more

On Dec 20, 2010, go4broek from Cibolo, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have a Blue Damson. It grows well in heavy clay soil with a pH of around 7.5. It's completed two seasons of growth since I bought it as a grafted whip. Blooms in late March here. Has not set fruit yet but I am hopeful for next season.

On Oct 16, 2009, purplesun from Krapets
Bulgaria (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is not a tree of any ornamental value. It is ugly and attracts tons of aphids that stain everything underneath. If you have an orchard, perhaps you should plant a plum tree. Otherwise, there isn't a sensible reason to do it in the home landscape.

On Apr 22, 2007, passiflora_pink from Central, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

It bears heavily when small. I found the ripe fruits to be juicy and flavorful.

On Nov 17, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Trees are somewhat smallish and are self-pollinating. The fruit ripens at the end of August to early September. There are some improved varieties now, such as 'Blue Damson' and 'French Damson'.

On Jan 24, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A marble sized blue black freestone plum, that has solid dry flesh. In my youth youth it was highly prized for making Damson preserves, Jelly, and Jam. It is not one that I consider fit for fresh eating as it is not only dry but sour. Very prolific bearer.