Kanooka, Water Gum

Tristaniopsis laurina

Family: Myrtaceae (mir-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tristaniopsis (tris-tay-nee-OP-sis) (Info)
Species: laurina (law-REE-nuh) (Info)
Synonym:Tristania laurina

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Santa Rosa, California

On May 9, 2006, swallowtailgard from Santa Rosa, CA wrote:

This is an outstanding smaller growing tree or shrub. I have kept it as a 12 foot clipped hedge where it produced masses of yellow flowers in early summer. Bees love them. Bark peels to reveal satiny white trunk.

They have a reputation for extreme tenderness they do not seem to deserve. My 2 year old plants went through 19 degree F. temperatures in containers and suffered only tip burn, nothing serious at all.

I have also trained the selection "Elegant" (new leaves come out bronzy, very attractive!) which has larger leaves (and for me a more open habit) as a multi-trunked speciman in a large patio container for a couple of years and then planted it out in the garden. It is something special to see, although I have never gotten the same profuse bloom from "El... read more

On Jan 26, 2004, kennedyh from Churchill, Victoria
Australia (Zone 10a) wrote:

Kanuka is a tree usually growing on river banks and in warm temperate rainforest in South-Eastern Australia. It does well in cultivation and thrives in drier sites than its natural habitat, although it does appreciate extra water at the drier times. It is beautiful when covered in bright yellow flowers in the summer. I have one established for some years in my garden and flowering beautifully each year, although it found the extreme dryness we had last year a bit of a problem. They are apparently easily grown from seed, although I have not tried seed collection so far.