Agave mitis

Family: Agavaceae (ah-gav-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Agave (a-GAH-vee) (Info)
Species: mitis (MIT-iss) (Info)
Synonym:Agave botteri
Synonym:Agave bouchei
Synonym:Agave celsii
Synonym:Agave haseloffi
Synonym:Agave micracantha

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Pale Green

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

This plant is monocarpic

Clayton, California

Fairfield, California

Reseda, California

Scotts Valley, California

On Mar 8, 2010, drdeadlift from Scotts Valley, CA wrote:

I have two A Celsii obtained from the UCSC Arboretum. Neither has many spines and are easy to handle. They are in full sun; get baked in summer and soaked in winter and tolerate it. I may have two cultivars as one is 12' diameter after 3 years and the other only 5" after 5 years. No suckers yet.

On May 17, 2009, Agaveguy from San Antonio, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

My A. celsii have no spines on the edges of the leaves and a relatively soft spine at leaf tip. It is one of the "safest" agaves to work with. The do great in part shade. I grow them under the edges of Live Oaks and under Texas Persimmon. Heavy shade makes for a straggly plant. Haven't tried them in too much sun yet. Have never had any offsets (pups). When they bloom I get a few bulbils on the bloom stalks which readily grow into new plants.

On Sep 11, 2008, baiissatva from Dunedin
New Zealand wrote:

Zone 9b, Coastal Otago, New Zealand.
Though I probably shouldnt complain about this beauty since our conditions are not very kind to it, I must say I find it exasperating.

I have a lovely rich apple green specimen which I have pampered right from the start in a pot, rushing out at three in the morning when I suspect a frost to shivvy it under cover, protecting it from excess rain etc etc. I have bled from the eyes for the sake of this darn thing and all Ive got to show for it is a sulky damaged rosette with rot spots.
Its graceful leaves are very flimsy and will crease at the slightest provocation, which in our moist coastal conditions leads to brown rot and a ruined symmetry. It is also pock marked by hail, meaning its appearance is shot for a year while i... read more

On Jan 27, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Nice blue-gray looking plant (though can be bright green)with the usual sharp spines along the leaves and a large terminal spine at the end of each. Eventually forms large colonies from constant, but nearby suckering. Not a common species in cultivation. From eastern Mexico.

2011 Kew Gardens is now considering celsii to be a synonym for Agave mitis var. mitis