Hardy Ageratum, Blue Mistflower

Conoclinium coelestinum

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Conoclinium (koh-no-KLY-nee-um) (Info)
Species: coelestinum (koh-el-ES-tee-num) (Info)
Synonym:Eupatorium coelestinum

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By simple layering

By serpentine layering

By stooling or mound layering

Auburn, Alabama

Saint Matthews, South Carolina

Clarksville, Tennessee

Nashville, Tennessee

Arlington, Texas

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Carrollton, Texas

Lexington, Virginia

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Westfield, Wisconsin

On Nov 11, 2015, Sequoiadendron4 from Lititz, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Beautiful blue flowers grace this plant mid-late summer, which attract pollinators. It's quite hardy and easily moved to various locations often requiring little care. That's about all it has going for it as it is SUPER aggressive in the garden. It's aggressive to the point of getting tangled around other perennials making it nearly impossible to remove completely. I have removed much of ours this fall but still have a couple more spots to go. I don't even mind aggressive plants but this is one that will not continue to have a place in my gardens. Before the flowers open, the plant looks very weedy and has unattractive foliage. The seeds are plentiful but I haven't had a big problem with seedlings popping up all over. This plant would be perfect for an area that gets little attenti... read more

On Jul 30, 2015, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

This species is sold by both conventional and native plant nurseries. I only see it occasionally. It makes a good low garden perennial for late summer and early autumn bloom. It does spread quickly by underground stems and can easily invade outside of good boundaries and overcome other low plants.

On Apr 19, 2015, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Proper siting is everything. In the wild, I often see it barely hanging on, finding a niche here and there among stronger growing plants. However, it does spread rather quickly by its roots (it also reseeds.) I wouldn't call it "invasive" here, because it is a native doing what it's meant to do. I made a big mistake; I planted one as a taller accent in a small rock garden and it soon took over. Not a good neighbor to smaller plants. It is however perfect for growing amongst taller perennials such as Echinacea, Solidago (many bloom at the same time), and Rudbeckia (among many others, where it stitches together the design by growing around its larger neighbors. I still suggest growing it, but only where it can romp a bit without causing to much maintenance or heartache at losing rare, tiny, ... read more

On Oct 28, 2014, flowerman48jtdv from Southfield, MI wrote:

This is one of my favorite late summer to late fall hardy plants. I believe I bought a couple of clumps years ago at a garage sale here in Southeast Michigan near Detroit. This plant has come back reliably and it spreads. I relocated it from a border near my deck to a meadow I created in the back of my yard. The soil is very poor there and bone dry at times. This plant grows well and spreads but not rampantly. It's perfect for my meadow and it also tolerates shade! I just wish I could get more of it. I've never seen it at any garden centers. I feel lucky to have it in my garden.

On Apr 25, 2010, turektaylor from Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

WAYYYY too invasive, i'm still trying to pull all the underground roots !!!

On Oct 12, 2008, Meredith79 from Southeastern, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I grew this plant from seed in spring and they are blooming wonderfully right now. I used cold treatment and they germinated well. The resulting plants are in a spot that had full sun with a little shade later in the day - while the sun was high in the sky during early summer. Now that it is fall and the sun is lower they get part shade from nearby trees. I hope these are hardy here and reseed because in my opinion, you need a lot to have a nice show of blooms. If they aren't hardy for me I would grow them again as an annual. I've seen them being described as a moist site plant, but they've performed good enough for me with dryish sandy soil.
They need to be placed towards the front of a border, hopefully with a slightly lower growing and long blooming plant in front of them. Mine ... read more

On Sep 25, 2008, arthurb3 from Raleigh, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Blue mistflower ("Conoclinium coelestinum), the are great fillers that require no care but you want to place it in a confined area to keep it under control. It add valuable color to the Fall garden!

On Sep 11, 2008, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

These beautiful wildflowers are common in wet hammocks and pond margins throughout the state of Florida.

On Jul 26, 2008, quiltjean from North Chelmsford, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I got a bit of this from a friend because I love the color in late summer. I put it in a dappled-shade location and it has taken off. To prevent its smothering my precious primula I'm taking out a hunk to plant on our condo grounds. We have terrible soil--silty acid junk with awful drainage--so we try spreaders in shady areas where grass just won't grow.

On Aug 9, 2007, upsydaisy from Rochester, IN wrote:

I got a start of the hardy ageratum several years ago. It does well for me here in north-central Indiana, but I haven't had a problem with it being invasive, possibly because we are in zone 5. I really love it, and so do the butterflies!

On Mar 31, 2006, sterhill from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

A friend of mine gave me this last summer and it bloomed big and beautiful. Now I am picking out millions of seedlings... and I find I can't just pluck out a little seedling but I have to dig down at least 4-6 inches as the roots go 'way down and I find a mass of white roots ready to spring up more seedlings. She has more shade and I don't think hers spreads like this. Mine are in full sun and are everywhere now!!!

On Oct 5, 2005, Breezymeadow from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This lovely plant grows wild on my property & throughout this area of Virginia (the Piedmont).

The fluffy little violet flowers are a wonderful accent in the late summer/early fall wildflower landscape, & the stem length makes it a nice addition to indoor bouquets.

On Oct 5, 2005, jnn from Chapel Hill, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a beautiful fall-blooming plant that attracts butterflies and hummingbirds. It does have a tendancy to spread, but you can keep it in check. It is also easy to dig some up to give to friends or put in other parts of your garden.

On Dec 19, 2004, rcn48 from Lexington, VA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Lovely addition to the garden for its late summer/fall flowering. Although it can be invasive in some areas, we have ours planted in a border in non-amended soil and in 4 years it has not invaded its companions. Nice cut flower for fall arrangements.

On Aug 31, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I tend to like this plant because it is very carefree - it grows wild in a nearby cow pasture. However, it can be a thug, so watch that you don't plant it near something that has a delicate constitution. And don't feed or water it too much - thin, dry soil will help keep the growth in check.

On Aug 31, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant is highly invasive in loose to medium soil. The beautiful flowers in late summer and autumn help to compensate for trait, though. Grows and flowers well in full sun to medium shade, wet to dry. A wonderful addition to a meadow or natural wildflower planting area large enough to accommodate a beautiful wildlife attractor.