PlantFiles: Silver Dollar Plant
Xerosicyos danguyi

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Xerosicyos (zer-oh-SIS-eye-os) (Info)
Species: danguyi (DAN-guy-ee) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)
Inconspicuous/none

Succulent

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Thumbnail #1 of Xerosicyos danguyi by palmbob

Thumbnail #2 of Xerosicyos danguyi by palmbob

Thumbnail #3 of Xerosicyos danguyi by palmbob

Thumbnail #4 of Xerosicyos danguyi by palmbob

Thumbnail #5 of Xerosicyos danguyi by palmbob

Thumbnail #6 of Xerosicyos danguyi by palmbob

Thumbnail #7 of Xerosicyos danguyi by palmbob

Positive mastrclndr On Nov 18, 2014, mastrclndr from Valencia, CA wrote:

I bought this plant at a succulent society show at a So Cal Arboretum. I've had it for several years now. It has proved to be a very tenacious little plant, as it is still sitting in the same 4" plastic pot, half the dirt is missing from tipping over, and it has sat outdoors and indoors with abject neglect. I literally have done next to nothing for it except to stand the pot upright on occasion, sprinkle a little water in it's direction on occasion, and trim off damaged branches . . it continues to grow in spite of my neglect. I am going to start taking care of it now, to see what it'll do.
I'm in zone 9b

Positive plantajijic On Aug 21, 2014, plantajijic from ajijic
Mexico wrote:

Recently moved to Ajijic, Mexico. Left all my plants in the US. Visited a nursery here and found this interesting plant. Starting a new collection.

Positive vossner On Aug 27, 2006, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I adore this plant, especially its perfectly circular leaves. Grown in a pot as an indoor plant. Totally low maint. Have never tried to propagate. I would consider it a slow to moderate grower.

Positive terraverte On Feb 28, 2006, terraverte from Tallahassee, FL wrote:

Xerosicyos danguyi grows quite well in Tallahassee, Florida. Its prolific dangling leafy branches grow well in all seasons, through growth is stunted during winter. I am growing it in a cone shaped terra-cotta pot which hangs in the corner of my porch, which allows its branches to cascade towards the ground. I have also taken cuttings from the plant, which grow easily once left to callous for several days and then planted in succulent soil.

Positive palmbob On Jan 30, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a really cool looking succulent vine from Madagascar that unfortunately I didn't have a lot of luck with outdoors until I moved to a really hot climate. Survived 6 years, but tough in zone 9b unless grown against a southwest facing wall (where mine is now and doing great). It has cylidrical skinny stems, tiny tendrils like a lot of vines do, and the most wonderful, curious completely circular pea-green leaves that look a lot like mints about 1" in diameter all over the plant. Needs to be planted next to something it can grow on or will look messy after a while.

here is a link to an article I wrote on this plant for Davesgarden:

Highgrove, California
Perris, California
Reseda, California
San Diego, California (2 reports)
Santa Barbara, California