Air Plant, Blushing Bride, Sky Plant

Tillandsia ionantha

Family: Bromeliaceae (bro-mee-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tillandsia (til-LAND-see-uh) (Info)
Species: ionantha (eye-oh-NAN-tha) (Info)

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Salem, New Hampshire

Cleveland, Ohio

Tyler, Texas

Mazama, Washington

Seattle, Washington (2 reports)

On Jul 14, 2012, mazmom from Mazama, WA wrote:

I have two small plants that I bought at the NY botanical garden two years ago while on vacation. They are inside in indirect light. I soak them once or twice a month. It never occurred to me to feed them until I read this week's discussion. Duh. Maybe now they'll start growing.

On Jul 9, 2012, one86pinestreet from Vero Beach, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Years ago I tucked one into an oak tree crevice on a shady path. It blooms once or twice a year. I spray it with the hose in passing & now & then splash left over orchid fertilizer on it. It's an eye-catcher when it's in bloom.

On Aug 25, 2011, nativelyeager from Brooksville, FL wrote:

They're gorgeous, 'tidy', easy, and do not go invasive. Caution: best not to place them where easily stolen.

On Apr 20, 2008, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This pretty little plant is often seen inserted into shells with magnets on the back. Tourists purchase them to put on their refrigerators, but fail to realize that the need moisture. They last a remarkable long time.

On Feb 7, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Nice tiny Tillandsia with great purple flowers in fall, and reddish leaf tips. Cultivation is easy as long as they don't get too cold or dark. Just glue/wire them to the understory of some tree where they may get some spray from a sprinkler, or get misted regularly, or keep in a greenhouse (seem to like more light than we normally get indoors, and a bit too dry for them). Wont flower in a greenhouse unless you cool them off in the winter. Native of Mexico and Central America.