Agave parryi var. truncata

Family: Agavaceae (ah-gav-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Agave (a-GAH-vee) (Info)
Species: parryi var. truncata

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

This plant is monocarpic

Fountain Hills, Arizona

Green Valley, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Tucson, Arizona

Arroyo Grande, California

Fresno, California

Loma Linda, California (2 reports)

Mission Viejo, California

Las Cruces, New Mexico

Copperas Cove, Texas

Kingsland, Texas

On May 17, 2014, halcyonbird from Kingsland, TX wrote:

I am in the trade, and used to get agave parryi when the grower thought they were about to bloom, hence would die shortly after. I enjoyed them for a while, and sometimes he was wrong. My last two lived a couple of years before blooming, but neither one set off pups. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and why this would be the case. Mine are in a rock garden almost entirely rock, so perhaps not enough soil, but it didn't stop the other species from setting out way too many pups. I'd like to keep a few of these growing all the time from offshoots if possible.

On Sep 28, 2006, cpm725 from Boulder, CO (Zone 6a) wrote:

Very beautiful plant, grows very well in Colorado. Make sure it is in full sun, or else it won't grow to it's full size. I am at 5, 300 ft above sea level, and the sun is out every single day. We get about 300+ days of sun a year, and are in a high desert climate.

On Feb 8, 2005, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have not grown this plant, but I just had to post this description of it because of the second sentence:

"Finally, we are able to offer what is considered one of the most beautiful of all the agaves. A. parryi ssp. truncata has a very limited distribution, found only from Durango, Mexico, where it can best be described as short, fat, blue, and producing lots of offspring. Come to think of it, that also describes most of the guys at the local saloon on Saturday night. ( :o) I just really chuckled here!) Each 18" wide x 18" tall robust clump is topped at maturity with a phallic flower bud which enlarges into a 3" diameter, 20' tall flower spike that could easily be used for a flagpole...we like horticultural multi-tasking. Remember: well-drained and dry in the winter months.... read more

On Nov 24, 2004, Xenomorf from Valley of the Sun, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

Needs partial or light shade and a little extra water in the hottest summer months in the hotter dryer desert areas.

On May 6, 2004, beadnut from Redding, CA wrote:

I rescued one of these plants that was being dug up and thrown away by its owner. It measures about 2 1/2 feet across and about 2 feet high, on about the 25 th of April I notice a strange "growth" coming from the top. At this point in time I did not know what this plant was and was not sure what to do. Thanks to your site I was able to identify it and find out that it is blooming and unfortunately going to die. It does have many PUPS and is growing at a rate of about a foot a day, I can't wait to see what the bloom looks like and perhaps save the seed and start new plants. I live in Redding California and this plant has been here for about 20 - 25 years as far as I can find out. It survived very nicely in the severe snow storm we had in January.

On Feb 11, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Not sure all the differences between this plant and the 'regular' A parryi, but it seems to be much large, lighter in color, has a larger terminal spine, shorter marginal spines and doesn't seem to sucker much if at all. Great specimen plant for any xeriscape garden of pot.

Found out later it does indeed sucker, but mine hasn't yet. By the way, this is a typically durable plant- just tore it out of the ground to get it, and plopped it back in a slight depression and shoved some dirt around the roots and it never showed a second of stress (agaves normally not too touchy).