Abutilon, Flowering Maple
Abutilon 'Bella Select Mix'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Abutilon (a-BEW-tih-lon) (Info)
Cultivar: Bella Select Mix

Pale Pink

Rose/Mauve

Coral/Apricot

Pale Yellow

Late Fall/Early Winter

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Eugene, Oregon

Conroe, Texas

On Feb 9, 2007, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

Like Maggie says, this is a very easy container plant indoors and out. I bring mine indoors for the winter, any bright window will do and then I put it back out for the summer. Just make sure for the first week or so after you put it out, that it's in a sheltered spot in the shade otherwise the leaves will get all burnt and need to be picked off. Very tough plant, I'm currently trying to grow more from seeds I bought.

SW

On Feb 12, 2004, maggiemoo from Conroe, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a compact, dwarf variety of Abutilon, suitable for outdoor containers or indoors as well. The showy flowers are from 2"- 3" wide, usually seen in pastel colors, though deeper colors are now becoming available.The leaves resemble a Maple tree, and are slightly fuzzy. It does best with rich, light, well-drained soil, and while some say it can take full sun, I find that in the Texas Gulf Coast heat it really needs some shade- just not too much. I bought this plant in a 4" pot at a local nursery the first year I started gardening- in other words, before I knew what I was doing. In spite of all my mistakes (I always considered "partial shade" to mean almost full shade), it perservered. It always surprises me by continuing to flower when other plants have given up. Since it's such a good... read more