PlantFiles: Cycad, Multipinnate Cycad
Cycas debaoensis

Family: Cycadaceae
Genus: Cycas (SY-kas) (Info)
Species: debaoensis (de-bay-oh-EN-sis) (Info)

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Cycads

Seed is poisonous if ingested
Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Thumbnail #1 of Cycas debaoensis by palmbob

Thumbnail #2 of Cycas debaoensis by palmbob

Thumbnail #3 of Cycas debaoensis by palmbob

Thumbnail #4 of Cycas debaoensis by palmbob

Thumbnail #5 of Cycas debaoensis by palmbob

Thumbnail #6 of Cycas debaoensis by palmbob

Thumbnail #7 of Cycas debaoensis by palmbob

Positive barryw On Mar 31, 2013, barryw from Cayce, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Barry, Cayce, SC. I have a plant that I left outside in a pot under a magnolia grandifolia and it suffered no damage what so ever.
My zone is 8a/b but this winter was milder with no temps below 23 Deg F. As the caudex is underground I plan to plant it in the ground this spring.

Positive vossner On Jan 15, 2012, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I am presently overwintering in the garage. However, I have seen a 5 ft tree of c. debaoensis happily growing in somebody's garden in my town. She's had her plant for years. I intend to plant mine in a rather shady area, not too wet or dry. Since it was pricey, I will baby it for a while.

Positive krishnaraoji88 On Dec 16, 2009, krishnaraoji88 from Ocala, FL wrote:

This plant will definitely grow in colder than 10a. I have three here in zone 9a under a light canopy and they are doing well. They were defoliated this past winter at 22 degrees (unusually cold) but came back strong this year with bigger leaves than ever, and because the caudex is underground it could almost be grown like a perennial (try in zone 8b?). I have had some problems with yellowing on one of my three plants though.

Neutral Cretaceous On Jun 21, 2007, Cretaceous from El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Cycas debaoensis is native to China.

Cycadaceae are listed on CITES Appendix II.

Positive palmbob On Feb 13, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

One of the coveted 'split leaf' Cycas species, this one from China. It basically has underground stems and long leaves, up to 12', shooting out of the ground. THe leaves are usually bipinnate and look similar to Cycas micholitzia, only much more profuse on the rachis. It is a highly ornamental cycad and my hopes are one day I will discover it CAN grow in my climate.. but not sure yet. Some populations are from relatively high altitudes and have a northern range that would approximate maybe what we have here in So California. Worth a try.

Brentwood, California