PlantFiles: Sierra Leone Lily
Chlorophytum 'Fireflash'

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Chlorophytum (kloh-roh-FY-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: Fireflash
Additional cultivar information: (aka Fire Flash)

Synonym:Chlorophytum orchidastrum
Synonym:Chlorophytum orchidantheroides
Synonym:Chlorophytum amaniense

Partial to Full Shade

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Rubbery-Textured

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

By kniphofia

By rylaff
Thumbnail #6 of Chlorophytum  by rylaff

By rylaff
Thumbnail #7 of Chlorophytum  by rylaff

Positive handbright On Sep 2, 2011, handbright from Coral Springs, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

This plant was identified for me here at Dave's just moments ago - after the identification I did some more research and the blackening of the tips of the leaves has been attributed to watering with tap water. Seems like from now on I will be watering with caught rain water. The growers on line recommend flushing it with filtered water if one has been doing as I have and watering this plant from the hose... which is an easy fix for the blackening tips. It is a lovely plant!

Positive hankeat On May 12, 2010, hankeat from Berlin
Germany (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is a beautiful plant with unusual colour and it's very easy to grow too. The germination of seeds is high.
First of all the comment of earthstarhunter regarding no orange colouring on the seedlings is misleading. I threw always all my seedlings after reading it. After that I found a blog that saying the seedlings only develope the orange colour, when they're 6 months old and about three inches across.

I hope my plant will flower and set pod again.

Positive earthstarhunter On Jul 23, 2009, earthstarhunter from Manhattan, KS wrote:

This is a fairly easy plant to grow but it does not like any sun to be near it. If exposed to bright light the leaves will develop brown freckles, it does well outside under a tree with deep shade in the warm months. Inside, it likes to be away from the window with no sun touching its leaves. It likes to be moist but is forgiving of a VERY short period of dryness.
The cats are not allowed into the plant room but since it doesn't have grass-like leaves they probably won't be trying to eat it.
The flowers are interesting but the seed pod is amazing. It seems every seed has germinated underneath the parent BUT none of them show any intention of developing orange coloring. So far the only way I have propagated it is by division.
I have had it for three years and it is staying compact and the coloring is still vivid and the green and orange make a beautiful plant for the collection. It isn't a flashy plant; it doesn't have runners, or show-off flowers, or outgrow it's space in 6 months. It just sits quietly and slowly grows and always looks good. Sometimes that is enough to make it a great plant.

Positive Buttoneer On Feb 21, 2009, Buttoneer from Carlisle, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I keep mine in a greenhouse in partial shade like an african violet and no direct sunlight. I keep getting flowers & seeds but no seedlings. I keep on squeezing the seedpods to get the seeds out and on top of moist potting soil. Will try the paper towel method next. I love the plant. Out of one plant, I divided, I got six. Very happy with it.

Positive Calif_Sue On Nov 23, 2008, Calif_Sue from Northern California
United States (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've been growing this beautiful plant for a year now, indoors near a window with indirect bright light, it's done great and looks as good as when I first purchased it.

Neutral LittleSheets On Aug 6, 2008, LittleSheets from Racine, WI wrote:

Recently purchased one and had it potted at the nursery. Since bringing it home the leaves are beginning to become edced with black. It starts with the tip of the leaves turning black and dry and continues down both edges of the leaf. Can't find any reference to this on any material.

Neutral BayAreaTropics On Mar 3, 2006, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I tried to get two through the winter in pots on the porch with overhead protection.They made it, but don't look very good. I would say they are not hardy. Night temps of mid thirtys -fortys are more than they can take. They also seem to be deep shade plants outdoors. Not comparable to the common spider plants.
2009: It's still alive outdoors. Through the 07 cold and 09 almost as cold. Slugs have done damage-so not immune like it's cousin spider plant. Slow growing-but I haven't been on top of giving fresh soil I admit.

Neutral IslandJim On Oct 23, 2004, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

I recently purchased a plant labeled Chlorophytum "Mandarin Plant". When I googled it, it came up C. orchidanteoides, but it doesn't look much like these [and these don't seem to look much like each other]. Is there wide variation in this species?

Positive palmbob On Aug 30, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Just got one of these and trying to find hardiness information on it... one source says it can handle zone 9 OK, but another says it's tropical (it's from tropical Africa) and suffers when temps get into the 40s... hmmm. Guess I'll find out this winter. Fantastic looking plant! Rubbery leaves and incredible color.

Positive kniphofia On Feb 19, 2004, kniphofia from Morpeth
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love this plant. It's very fashionable right now and although it doesn't produce the runners that a green and white spider does it still produces flowers at the base of the plant. One plant I have has produced seedlings.

The coloring is wonderful, orange is my favorite color! The plant is easy to grow and develops best in good light.

Hayward, California