Chinese Peony, Garden Peony
Paeonia lactiflora 'Festiva Maxima'

Family: Paeoniaceae
Genus: Paeonia (pay-OHN-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: lactiflora (lak-tee-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Festiva Maxima

Del Valle, Texas

Garland, Texas

Farmington, Utah

Mechanicsville, Virginia

Warrenton, Virginia (2 reports)

Bellevue, Washington

Bremerton, Washington

Olympia, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

Ravenswood, West Virginia

Madison, Wisconsin

On Jul 21, 2014, Brillig from Spring, TX wrote:

My Mom grew this gorgeous peony successfully in Brownwood, in central Texas, for many years by defrosting the freezer in the middle of winter and piling the ice on the plants. (The accepted wisdom is that they won't grow below the Red River.) She won every flower show she entered with those beauties. I've been toying with the idea of doing the same thing here outside of Houston...I don't think the heat and humidity will bother them if they get some cold (and ice) in winter. If I ever do this, I'll let you know!

On May 23, 2014, SLFarmer from Warrenton, VA wrote:

In 1949, my dad dug up Maxima Festiva that his father had originally planted around 1909 to plant at his house, then moved them in 1954 to a new house and yet again in 1962 to yet another house, then I came along and moved them from Missouri to Virginia in 1981. They are still beautiful--to look at and to delight in the fragrance. A great peony. Most of my blooms stand upright without support.

On May 5, 2014, Gracye from Warrenton, VA wrote:

This, along with "Sarah Bernhardt," is what I remember as a child, in all the gardens. Nothing else seemed available.

The Festiva Maxima is truly the ONLY peony to grow, if you can only have one. It is the epitome of old-fashioned-ness. White picket fences, wide metal blinds fluttering in open windows, and yes, Festiva Maxima. Need say no more.

On Feb 9, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I consider this antique cultivar the best of all peonies for fragrance. Perhaps that accounts for its continuing popularity.

Peony cultivars vary a great deal in their fragrance---not just in strength of fragrance, but also in its quality. I find some are downright unpleasant. Not only is 'Festiva Maxima' the most fragrant, but (at least to my nose) it's the sweetest, with the best quality of fragrance, not heavy or musky.

Stems are long and the heavy flowers will sprawl on the ground without support. Peony hoops set in early in the season are the easiest way to support them.

As with all peonies, the eyes (underground growing tips) need light to form flower buds, and should not be covered by more than an inch of soil if you want flowers.
... read more

On May 17, 2013, laineygirl from Mountain Top, PA wrote:

Exquisitely fragrant! Very easy to grow, almost indestructible.

On May 11, 2010, greenpixies from Natchitoches, LA wrote:

Hello! I grew up in the north where peonies were all around. I became a gardener in the south, in Louisiana. We dared not bother with them in New Orleans, but we live in Natchitoches now, central/north Louisiana. Technically we are in zone 8. It can be moist and swampy, but nothing like New Orleans. Can anyone reccomend peonies that will do well, here in the south? I'm dying to try a couple. Thanks for any suggestions!

On Jan 10, 2010, LauraSteele from Fort Wayne, IN wrote:

This plant was introduced in 1851 by August Miellez. My great-grandfather planted our 'Festiva Maxima' in 1928 and it still looks lovely. It's never been moved or divided and is still the size of a bushel basket. Nice compact peony for smaller gardens. It grows about 30" tall and needs "caged" for support. It's one of the prettiest peonies you can grow.

Oops, my mistake. We have 'Le Cygne', not 'Festiva Maxima'. Guess I'll have to track one down...

On Jul 29, 2008, ifonly from Brookfield, CT wrote:

If you can have only one - make it Festiva Maxima

On Jun 17, 2007, kniphofia from Morpeth
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

One of the most essential plants in any peony garden. I have a large clump which I inherited from the previous owner of my house and every year it is simply breathtaking. Each flower is different because of the crimson flecks, and has a gorgeous rose scent. Extremely hardy and care free. Highly recommended!

On Jan 28, 2007, dayli from Vienna, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is my favorite peony, beautiful, fragrant and blooms like mad. It is reasonably priced because it has been wildly popular for more than 150 years and is easy to grow + easy to divide. You can't go wrong with this one!

On Mar 23, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

My information says that this is hardy in zones 3-8. Do not plant or mulch too deep or it will not bloom.

On Jan 11, 2006, Ivy1 from Mystic, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

Festiva Maxima is a lovely, creamy white flower with pinkish red markings radiating from the center of the plant in a whirling pattern.This is hands down the most fragrant plant I own. When it blooms, I can smell it from my house, which is about 30 feet away with a garage in between. It was given to me 8 years ago, planted in spring, and has never been any work at all. I stake it, and that's all I do. An absolutely fantastic plant!