PlantFiles: Fern Leaf Peony, Double Fernleaf Peony
Paeonia tenuifolia 'Rubra Flora Plena'

Family: Paeoniaceae
Genus: Paeonia (pay-OHN-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: tenuifolia (ten-yoo-ih-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Rubra Flora Plena
Additional cultivar information: (aka Plena)

» View all varieties of Peonies

By Joan
Thumbnail #6 of Paeonia tenuifolia by Joan

By Lilypon
Thumbnail #7 of Paeonia tenuifolia by Lilypon

Neutral quasymoto On Jun 29, 2014, quasymoto from Bloomfield, IA (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have had this Peony for a number of years and it has yet to bloom. But the First year It was planted too deep. Then I moved it early in the second season. Didn't like that spot so I moved it yet again to a bank under a young Oak tree. It stayed there for several years never blooming, this Spring I decided to place it out in my Front garden that get's late morning to mid afternoon sun. I will see how it does next spring. I have regular Peony's, a tree Peony, and these types of peony's, love them all.

Positive Norlin On Sep 7, 2011, Norlin from Humboldt, SD wrote:

Planted 2 Fern Leaf this spring. The weather was awful with strong winds but they have caught and the foliage is dying back now. Will mulch good this fall and look forward to having success in the spring. Have had in the same zone in WI with great success. Difficult to find and very happy to add to the garden.

Negative collanne On Aug 6, 2011, collanne from Sioux Falls, SD wrote:

I was given a fern leaf peony for mother's day last year, it died. I was given another one for this mother's day. We have had torrential rains - way more then we usually receive in a short period of time (and all summer!). Needless to say, it also died. There was a guarantee on this one and they replaced it with two more. I really want these two to survive! I love peonies and have about 20 very old, standard peonies that have survived about anything. What hints/tips/helps can you give me to ensure that these two don't die? I live in South Dakota and know they should grow here.

Neutral Mechthild On Apr 30, 2011, Mechthild from Stewartstown, PA wrote:

Years ago I saw a plant decsribed here locally in Pennsylvania as the Moravian Peony. I have asked far and wide of nurseries, plant shows, and gardeners to no avail. Yesterday I found the plant marked "Moravian Peony" at a local, Amish plant stand. Upon further research I determined that the Moravian Peony to be Rubra Flora Plena (Paeonia tenuifolia). I purchased one and will follow up on my success with it. It is a beautiful plant.

Positive sharizma On Jun 5, 2009, sharizma from saskatoon

I live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. The Fern Peony was in the flower bed when we bought our house and it's thriving despite the sometimes -35 weather in winter. Anything human or floral has to be made of good stuff to survive that!!

Positive billyporter On May 5, 2006, billyporter from Nichols, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I was given a small plant in 1993. It has done well and is beautiful. I have dug and divided four times and given some away. I now have 8 small plants set in permanent beds and look forward to letting them gain some size.

Positive fancyvan On Oct 8, 2005, fancyvan from Calgary, AB (Zone 3a) wrote:

I have grown a fern leaf peony for about 10 years - it was dug from an elderly relatives garden - dont know how old it really is. Flowers beautifully every spring. I keep it supported on a grow ring with a grid on it as it does tend to flop if there is a lot of rain when it is in bloom.

Positive Joan On Jul 15, 2005, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Although it was a bit tempermental for the first two years I had it, the third year it took off and looked wonderful. It also bloomed for a very long time.

Positive mickemt On May 23, 2004, mickemt from Depew, NY wrote:

This is an excellent plant, although a bit temeprmental about being disturbed. This specimen has been in my family for years, and has begun to thrive in the bed it has been transplanted to.
A very unusual looking plant, many people have remarked on it.

Positive bunnynjr On May 4, 2004, bunnynjr from Keota, IA wrote:

The fern leaf peony is easily divided and actually does much better when the root/tubers are disturbed. I have moved and divided my original plant many times with great success. The one requirement of note is very well draining soil. Vermiculite, peat, and perelite are what I have used.

Positive mommydi On Apr 15, 2004, mommydi from Gooding, ID (Zone 5a) wrote:

I found this plant abandoned five years ago and took it home with me. The only attention it has recieved from me since then is whenever I water my other flowers. It is on my east side of the house (in the front) and is ready to bloom now! I love it because it gives me blooms early in the season when I itching to get out and plant my flowers (but have to wait for most flowers due to our zone!). I do have daffodils, some tulips, and hyacinths... but this flower really makes me feel like the season has started!

Neutral Terry On Feb 19, 2004, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Distinguished from Paeonia lactifolia, the fernleaf peony is more compact, and has finely divided foliage, making it a terrific garden asset even when not in bloom.

Anchorage, Alaska