Tomato 'Polish Linguisa'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Polish Linguisa

Westmoreland, Tennessee

Black Earth, Wisconsin

Cheyenne, Wyoming

On May 22, 2012, tangwystl from Limestone Creek, FL wrote:

This plant started out like gang busters. It did start to set fruit but ended up with alot of rotten fruit. We did get a large amount of hard rain, which affected all of my paste tomatoes.More so than the cherry and beefsteak types. But this one seemed to handle the extra water very pourly. I was disapointed because I was really looking forward to this tomato. I may try again but if I have other paste tomatoes that hold up better, I will stick with them.

On Apr 23, 2008, dancingbear27 from Elba, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grow these every year. If you make sauce and want a massive paste tomato, this is the one! They are giants! I even amazed my husband and his 3 brothers who have been crop farmers all of their lives. These were about the size of a large grapefruit for me and then add the pointy end and some were even doubles (twins). Nice tomato flavor, very meaty and few seeds (great for sauce). Plants get big and tomatoes heavy, so need good staking.

On Jun 6, 2006, blackbunny from Provincetown, MA wrote:

I grew this last year from seed, from "Cook's Garden". I must note that this company's seed packets have very little useful information on specific cultivars! In my Cape Cod garden, this plant was a disappointment, having caught some sort of icky wilt before it could yield much fruit. The fruit I got was merely average in taste and texture. I must note, however, that I gave one of my seedlings to my neighbor who planted it in a fancy container system, and Loved the plant...both the yield and the flavor. Because of this I have grown it again from last year's viable seeds...one to give to her again, and one to try in a container at my own house (not in my garden bed). I'll keep you posted, but for now, I say "Not Worth It".

On Jul 24, 2004, NatureWalker from New York & Terrell, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Vigorous indeterminate vines bear 3 to 4 inch pointed red fruits 1 to 2 inches in diameter that are meaty enough for saucing or drying, but good enough to eat out of hand of slice for salads and sandwiches.

Growing Zones: Zones 4 - 10
Plant Habit: Vining
Uses: Outdoor
Additional Features: Heirloom, Edible

Seed purchased from: Cooksgarden.com

They've made it dispite the fact that I've found Japanese Beetles trying to get at them. I've managed to keep them at bay using a homemade hot pepper spray. Can't wait to taste them; I've not tried them yet.
Growing Se... read more

On Feb 21, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I don't know the origen of this cultivar but it is classified as an heirloom. A giant paste tomato that can reach 10 ounces. Shaped like a sausage tomato with a pointy end.