Bigflower Coreopsis, Largeflowered Tickseed, Tickseed Coreopsis 'Early Sunrise'

Coreopsis grandiflora

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Coreopsis (kor-ee-OP-sis) (Info)
Species: grandiflora (gran-dih-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Early Sunrise

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Chandler, Arizona

Fallbrook, California

Hesperia, California

North Fork, California

Norwalk, California

Oakland, California (2 reports)

Paradise, California

Denver, Colorado

Fort Collins, Colorado

Pensacola, Florida

Sarasota, Florida

Cordele, Georgia

Marietta, Georgia

Bridgeview, Illinois

Chicago, Illinois (2 reports)

Itasca, Illinois

Coshocton, Ohio

Ravenna, Ohio

Springfield, Ohio

Enid, Oklahoma

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (2 reports)

Baker City, Oregon

Crossville, Tennessee

Knoxville, Tennessee

Rockwood, Tennessee

Allen, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Iola, Texas

Vancouver, Washington

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

On May 27, 2012, cougarvamp45 from Bridgeview, IL wrote:

Last year I planted several Coreospis Early Sunrise for my butterfly garden. They all survived the Chicago winter. They require little to no maintenance. I have it towards the front of the raised garden bed where it gets approx 5 hours of full sun a day. I try to water the garden every morning before work, but usually end up getting around to it every 2nd or 3rd day. As long as I dead head the spent blooms, it blooms profusely from spring to fall. I planted 3 more this year to attract more Red Admiral butterflies, who love it! I planted it with blue Salvia, it's a nice color contrast. I'm wondering if all of the Coreospis attract butterflies? I'd like to add more of these fabulous work horsesto my garden!

On May 20, 2011, Eldine from Wellsville, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

I had several of these one year and they bloomed more profusely than any annual! I was disappointed when they did not return the next year. I tried them again last year and loved them just as much and am please to say that 2 of 3 plant have emerged this spring. They flower so abundantly that I wonder if they have a tendency to burn themselves out!

On Nov 9, 2009, leiannec from Oakland, CA wrote:

what a great plant! bright colored golden blooms cover these plants from march to november--wow! you need to keep them trimmed or they start to get leggy, but agreat color spot for a long period of time

On Jun 26, 2009, jcoakley from Chicago, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

I really like this plant so far, especially now that I have it identified correctly! I planted two tiny plugs last spring (2008) and got just a few blooms (it didn't help that there was a bunny nest in my yard) but this summer it is blooming profusely. I've been deadheading it every few days just to keep it looking neat. Great, easy plant for newbie gardeners.

On Jun 5, 2008, Meig from Far Northwest 'burbs, IL (Zone 4b) wrote:

Despite being hardy to Z4a, this did not survive this past winter in my perennial bed. It did survive in another place on my property, however, in a different aspect.

On Apr 29, 2008, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

My husband bought 2 Bigflower Coreopsis, Largeflowered Tickseed, Tickseed Coreopsis 'Early Sunrise' (Coreopsis grandiflora) plants in 6 inch pots for 25 cents each on the dying plant table at Walmart last year. With a little care they came back to life and flourished. One was planted in a large container that is sunken in 15 inches of mulch in a flowerbed right by the street and is in the hottest area of my yard. The other one is in full sun in the ground in another flowerbed that receives a lot of heat. Both survived the winter and are flourishing. This is a really great Coreopsis that blooms profusely and requires little care once established. The bright colored, large blooms are beautiful against the deep green foliage.

On Jul 15, 2006, crowellli from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I may be the only person in Houston who can't grow these! I planted several 4" nursery pots in a raised bed of amended, well draining soil in early June. They put out a few blooms and then promptly got some kind of fungal disease. All the leaves turned gray and shriveled. I cut them back and sprayed, but they didn't improve, so I pulled them up. No more of these for me!

On Jun 13, 2006, achoogardner from Red Oak, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love this plant! It was handicapped by some stem burrowing bug last year but it has came back beautifully this year. Mine is about a foot and a half across. It just keeps on blooming as long as you deadhead. I have had a few volunteer plants in my driveway which I give to friends!

On Mar 23, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Will bloom repeatedly when deadheaded! My information says it is hardy in zones 3-11. Light aids germination of seeds.

On May 28, 2005, shirleyt from Pearl River, LA wrote:

I love this plant, but I know very little about it...So far I have one that I purchased about six weeks ago...It is blooming profusely....I deadhead the plant and new buds just keep coming.... I am happy to hear it will continue to bloom until October...Yeah..... that is the kind of plants I want in my garden......lots of beauty for all my work... I love to save seeds and propagate...It just gets too dry here in May. Hopefully it will be like the last couple years and some rain will come with the change of the month. I want plants that bloom more than two weeks......I am new to gardening and and learning rapidly thanks to this site.

On May 28, 2005, Pyrola5 from Bradford, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have never had this plant, but I did some seeds in Winter sow and they are growing. It sounds like a good plant,easy to grow so I am looking forward to having it in my flower beds.

On May 27, 2005, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Grows readily from seed I threw a couple of spent dried flowers into another flowerbed last autumn, and I have a nice sized plant in 2005.

Propagates nicely when small pieces are seperated from the original plant, also I split a few off in the early spring before it started to flower. They are doing great in pots and in another new location.

This is a fabulous plant, I plan to get a few other varieties in the coming years.

A very clear gold/yellow

flowers last well in when cut.

On Nov 9, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Large golden-yellow blooms flower from June to September. Prefers a rich, moist soil. Attractive to butterflies, too. Beautiful coreopsis!

On Jun 30, 2004, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

A very strong, rich and long blooming compact (30-45 cm)perennial. She blooms in her first year after sowing with 5 cm half filled golden yellow flowers. She keeps on flowering into october if you deadhead. I love her very much and I consider her a must in any merry garden. She gives good cut flowers also.