Crested Elephant Ear, Backbone Elephant Ear, Monstrose Arrow Leaf
Xanthosoma sagittifolium 'Lineatum'

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Xanthosoma (zan-tho-SO-muh) (Info)
Species: sagittifolium (sag-it-ee-FOH-lee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Lineatum

Cave Creek, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Clayton, California

Huntington Beach, California

Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)

Homestead, Florida

Pharr, Texas

Seadrift, Texas

positive

On Jun 19, 2008, glen74 from Effingham, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

I received a large plant as a freebie this spring and so far it has grown in leaps and bounds. It is already about 3-4 ft. tall and the leaves are large. It is a heavy feeder and I always keep it moist...not wet, but moist. It is very striking growing alongside Ensete maurellii 'Ventricosum' and 'New Gold' Lantana. It loves heat and humidity. I have my specimen growing in a full sun setting. It receives full hot sun from about 12 PM onward. While the yellow flecking on the leaf is not "in your face" striking, I think it adds its own charm and something different compared to the endless supply of purple-leaved elephant ears that have seemingly flooded the market. It also seems to have very good wind tolerance as the leaves are similar to Xanthosoma violaceum in their thickness. For those wh... read more

On Jun 10, 2008, HypnoticCobra from Pharr, TX wrote:

I recently purchased a home where an Elephant Ear is growing. I have never seen anything like this before. In early March when we purchased the home it was blooming but not with a flower, the bloom was a pale green pod about 1 1/2 inch long with little red berrys inside that the birds loved to eat. The soil I have is clay like when wet and hard when dry. They do well here but I do not know how to take care of them, I discovered Mealy bugs on them and have been treating the plants accordingly. I guess I am underwatering them and I have started cultivating the soil around them. I have also planted a northern Aloe and a Giant Bird of Paradise in the same area. I would appreciate any advise and assistance with these beautiful plants.