PlantFiles: Cape Mallow
Anisodontea 'Elegant Lady'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Anisodontea (an-iss-oh-DON-tee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Elegant Lady
Additional cultivar information: (PP16301)
Hybridized by Fick; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2004

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Thumbnail #3 of Anisodontea  by Kell

By Wifeygirl
Thumbnail #4 of Anisodontea  by Wifeygirl

Positive breezy1 On May 21, 2011, breezy1 from Murphys, CA wrote:

I am not sure if I have the same variety. It was a gift and has taken off like crazy, even though the deer eat it eagerly. I do get snow but it does not die out completely. Once weather is warm the plant grows faster than deer can eat it. Flowers are 1 " coral and foliage grayish green with multilobed sections on each leaf. Plant is very prostrate-6-8" tall but wide spreading 4-6 feet and drought tolerant.

Positive dbarr On Apr 20, 2010, dbarr from Vado, NM wrote:

I was a sales rep and sold this plant in palm springs CA as well as southern califotnia, It makes a great shrub and is on the drought tolerent side.

Positive Wifeygirl On Apr 1, 2007, Wifeygirl from (Caitlin) Fresno, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I had a mixed experience with this plant. Planted it and it got TONS of compliments, grew really well. However after we put in a sprinkler system they all died out - I believe due to overwatering. Now this spring there are several volunteers growing up near where they were planted before.

Overall I'm giving it a positive review because I believe that if you water them less than I did they would do very well, and people love them. They are very profuse bloomers.

Positive Kell On Jan 20, 2006, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is the prettiest of the cape mallows I think for it is such a bright pink! Gets covered in blooms.

Positive willynilly On Aug 1, 2004, willynilly from Berkeley, CA wrote:

I planted a one-gallon, two-foot plant in an area with full sun and poor soil about a month ago (late June). It immediately began taking off, adding new leaves and continuing to bloom. I've been snipping off the longer stalks, which has caused it to fill in nicely. Excellent plant for a low water garden.

El Mirage, Arizona