Dwarf Variegated Century Plant
Agave americana 'Cornelius'

Family: Agavaceae (ah-gav-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Agave (a-GAH-vee) (Info)
Species: americana (a-mer-ih-KAY-na) (Info)
Cultivar: Cornelius
Additional cultivar information:(aka Aurea)
Synonym:Agave americana var. marginata f. monstrose

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Variegated

Reseda, California

Colquitt, Georgia

Kure Beach, North Carolina

On Feb 1, 2011, Beach_Barbie from Kure Beach, NC (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've had this plant for about a year. Love it!I have it in a light blue glazed pot and it is very striking.
I'm keeping it as a house plant, so it's in my sunroom. After reading GaTropicals comment on the hardiness. I'm going to put it outside while the temperatures aren't so cold.

On Aug 9, 2009, GaTropical wrote:

Most reports of 'Cornelius' say that it rarely produces offsets, however my experience is different. I have three plants, each purchased from a different nursery, and all three have produced several offsets. In addition, reports say that this plant is generally a zone 9 and higher plant. My plants have survived without damage in my moist, humid, zone 8b garden without protection.

On Jan 21, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

The small 18" tall x 2.5' wide rarely-suckering clump of unusually thick, wavy blue-green leaves are highlighted by a 2" wide golden border. This has been seen this listed as Agave americana, but a rare blue reversion looked nothing like A. americana. This plant goes by many invalid names such as 'Quasimodo', 'Incurva Marginata', and 'Marginata Aurea Monstrosa'. It does appear that this plant originated somewhere in the California collector market, but the actual origin is still unclear.

On Feb 23, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

These have the attractive colors, though somewhat brighter, than Agave americana variegata, only these are miniature Agaves (relatively) and only get a maximum of 2' across and only about 12"-18" tall. AND it doesn't seem to offset quickly, if at all (another big plus to me). The leaf margins tend to be somewhat irregular and irregularly spined as well. This is an excellent variegated Agave for smaller areas of the garden.

Now that I have (had... recently stolen) one of my own, I alter my comment about offsetting... mine has several dozen offsets in its dinky little pot it was in... perhaps just some do not offset.