Giant Granadilla
Passiflora quadrangularis

Family: Passifloraceae (pas-ih-flor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Passiflora (pass-iff-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Species: quadrangularis (kwad-ran-gew-LAIR-iss) (Info)
Additional cultivar information:(aka Warmlands)
Synonym:Passiflora macrocarpa

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Violet/Lavender

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Ferment seeds before storing

Kailua Kona, Hawaii

Rio Hondo, Texas

negative

On Jul 11, 2013, wtliftr from Wilson's Mills, NC wrote:

I visited the Fruit and Spice Park in Miami (Homestead) last week; they have a good length of fenceline with this plant growing; I believe that it is this species. The rule in the park is that you CAN pick up fruit off the ground to taste; there was one fruit, a bit past its prime that I was able to taste. It had fermented a bit. The flowers smell like perfume. I plan to obtain one of these once I return home, although I will have to keep it indoors during the winter (Johnston County, NC).

On Mar 24, 2012, eliasastro from Athens
Greece (Zone 10a) wrote:

There is great confusion of this plant with the much more hardy hybrid Passiflora x decaisneana. In Europe most nurseries still mislabel P. x decaisneana as P. quadrangularis. On the other hand the real P. quadrangularis is a much more demanding plant, very sensitive to frost and looks really pitiful in the winter here. Even light frosts can kill it. If you don't live in the tropics and not have a heated greenhouse don't expect any fruit (except for South Florida probably). I can distinguish it from P. x decaisneana from the characteristic shape of it's leaves, similar looking to the common Hydrangea. It is noticeable that even Passiflora macrocarpa (aka P. 'Blue Moon') is much more hardy to near freezing low temperatures. By the way, there is still great confusion if P. quadrangularis 'W... read more

On Jul 16, 2008, Clare_CA from (Zone 10b) wrote:

There was a discussion among Passiflora experts about the cultivar called 'Warmlands' some time ago. Logee's claimed to have discovered a new passiflora hybrid in San Diego and named it "Warmlands" only to find out later that it was not a new hybrid and it already had a name of Passiflora macrocarpa, also known as Passiflora quadrangularis. The correct name is Passiflora macrocarpa, but they did sell some as 'Warmlands' so the confusion may exist for some time.

On Jun 3, 2004, gogators from West Palm Beach, FL wrote:

The flowers are the most beautiful I have ever seen. The aroma of the flower is awesome and I plan to put my next batch through my Green Power machine and see what kind of "scents" I can get. I hand pollinated the fruit I have now. I haven't had the pleasure of tasting the fruit yet. I have 5 other passion fruit types and this one has by far the most amazing flower. I will upload pictures and other notes as time permits.

On Jun 8, 2003, teddyJ from Rockhampton
Australia wrote:

These giant,rampant, tropical passionfruit are delicious and reminiscent of tropical fruit salad. The surrounding flesh is eaten as well as the seedbearing pulp normally associated with passionfruit once the outer and inner skins are removed. I grow mine up trees where they will climb up 60 feet or more into the canopy making it hard to retrieve the fruit sometimes. Contrary to a common belief in my area they do not need hand pollination if there are bees and other insects around to do the job. When grown on a pergola the fruit are easy to collect.