Floribunda Rose
Rosa 'Europeana'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Europeana
Additional cultivar information:(aka Europeana, PP2540)
Hybridized by De Ruiter
Registered or introduced: 1963

Class:

Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Dark red (dr)

Patent expired

Other Details:

Susceptible to mildew

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Richmond, Virginia

Casco, Wisconsin

negative

On May 11, 2013, JoyfulAleta from Tulsa, OK wrote:

I bought 7 of these at Home Depot about 4 years ago. I had never heard of them, but was intrigued by the thought of making a hedge of them. These roses are absolutely show stoppers! A local rosarian shop has developed an antifungal spray that is sure- fire and since I live in hot, humid N.E. Oklahoma we rose lovers battle fungal disease constantly. These roses are so gorgeous.
I was glad to read the reviews of the other commenters--that these are wide and leggy, I have had that same experience with them, so I know that it is not just me. They bloom and bloom and the blooms look so amazing when I don't deadhead them over the winter, but just leave them on until late winter or even early spring. Wonderful!

On Apr 1, 2012, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

My mother purchased this rose for my birthday about three years ago . I planted it at the entrance to my gazebo . It is a very squat wide bush and it blooms like crazy and scoffs at our Texas heat. I find that if I put rose tone around it at the first signs of new growth it does not get blackspot or powdery mildew . As with all roses it requires good air circulation and cannot be heavily underplanted .

On Dec 13, 2010, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

Europeana is one of the best roses I have ever grown. It's red, it's colorfast, it reblooms well, and it blooms well into the fall without having the buds "ball up" and refuse to open. And it survives Wisconsin winters (Zone 5) well if boxed up and buried in ground.

There is a problem with the growth habit: it is far more spreading than vertical. In my garden, it never exceeds two feet high and is generally shorter than that. It grows "out" instead of "up"; and with its very stiff canes it is difficult to tie up before winter so that it can be boxed and buried in ground, So it requires a large box for a small bush.

it is very susceptible to powdery mildew and also is susceptible to black spot. This is probably to be expected for such an old cultivar, but... read more

On Jul 1, 2010, Glenn3 from Camden, ME wrote:

I don't understand the enthusiasm for this rose. The large clusters are too heavy for the stems, and it is prone to disease.

On Sep 6, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant patent number 2540 has expired

On Dec 11, 2004, DixieDixie from Las Vegas, NV (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have grown these roses in western exposure for over ten years in Las Vegas, NV., where temperatures easily reach 110. They are listed as slightly fragrant, but mine would perfume my entire house. The red never became washed out like so many others that I have grown. They are very susceptable to powdery mildew-don't even bother to wait until you see it. Just spray! They tend to get leggy, but never mind a little mid season pruning. That is a good thing because it blooms so much that the weight of the flowers will pull the stem down to the ground. The thorns are fragile so they're not a problem. Prior to blooms, the foliage is a bronzy-reddish color.