PlantFiles: Floribunda Rose
Rosa 'Hot Cocoa'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Hot Cocoa
Additional cultivar information: (PP15155, aka WEKpaltlez, Hot Chocolate)
Hybridized by Carruth; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2003

Class:
Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Russet (r)

Resistant to black spot
Resistant to mildew
Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by kniphofia

By Happenstance
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by Happenstance

Positive coriaceous On Feb 17, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I've cared for 9 of these over three years. Here in blackspot heaven, they've shown little blackspot---just a little near the ground---and I haven't needed to spray.

Very vigorous. So far the habit is rigidly upright and sparsely branched. I'll be doing more midseason pruning next year, but last year they reached over six feet high after having been cut back to 18" in the spring.

Produces flowers nonstop here. The color is rich and unique, a warm variable rusty orange-red with subtle smoky lavender overtones. It's complex and variable, and I think it's very beautiful. It varies a lot with the weather, especially the temperature. It reads well in the landscape, but photographs don't do it justice.

The fragrance isn't strong.

The stems are exceptionally thorny. Thorns are needle-sharp and spaced so closely it's impossible to touch the stem.

Positive Qortni On Oct 5, 2009, Qortni from Binghamton, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

What an unusual rose! The best description of the color would be to call it "coral." Its true color is very difficult to catch on camera. The fragrance is sort of spicy, but not very strong. Regardless of a very poor growing season this year, Hot Cocoa bloomed repeatedly since I bought it in early spring. By October, it was just finishing up. I can only imagine how it would have performed had it had better weather!

The only bad part about keeping this rose is that the aphids swarm to it. I had to repeatedly spray, and really had to keep on it, lest they chew the buds and new growth to bits. However, the beauty of this rose was well worth the "chore."

Positive lrwells50 On Aug 1, 2008, lrwells50 from (Lynn) Paris, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

I always have a lot of comments when I bring a vase of these to work. They almost look like they have been dusted with cocoa powder. The most unusual color in my garden.

Positive vossner On Apr 13, 2007, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Absolutely adore the brick color. Blooms last a long time. Hard to photograph. Conversation piece, for sure.

Positive jamie68 On Jul 9, 2005, jamie68 from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This rose is in my all-time favorite top 10!! Unique color blossoms, that keep coming all season, and wonderful disease resistance.....Great rose!!

Positive Gindee77 On May 20, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a great rose with very little problem with disease. The foliage is shiny healthy green and the blooms are very pretty and different. The brick red is a color you don't see very often with roses. It's always in bloom in my zone 5 garden.

Positive doss On May 11, 2005, doss from Stanford, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This rose is a conversation stopper in the garden. It's hard to photograph the color but in my garden it starts out a rich red brown and then fades to a medium red with coral undertones. New growth in the spring is a dark green burgundy. Very floriferous and has an excellent rebloom habit. It is subject to black spot and powdery mildew - but then all roses in my area are. No exception. I advise treating it preventatively if you are in an area with these problems.

Positive kniphofia On Mar 2, 2005, kniphofia from Morpeth
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

One of my favorite roses from last year with a most beautiful and unusual color. I especially like the way the aging flowers darken.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this one survives our Maine winter.

Positive trifunov On Oct 20, 2004, trifunov from Brandon, MS (Zone 8a) wrote:

I planted this rose in spring, and it has bloomed continuously right until fall. The flowers on my bush are a very unusual smoky orange-brown, although I have seen some at the local nursery which were a much more boring reddish-orange. I wish it had a little fragrance, as it is so beautiful. My bush has reached about 3 foot in it's first year with strong erect canes.

Positive clantonnaomi On Apr 28, 2004, clantonnaomi from Iredell, TX wrote:

I have many roses, but I have to say that this one is my favorite. It's beautiful color is unique-I have never seen one even close to it. It does very well in central Texas and I would highly recommend it.

Positive bamasharon On Apr 27, 2004, bamasharon from Helena, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

Medium tall Floribunda with a smoky chocolate orange bloom ( sometimes with a hint of purple) Lightly fragranced, intense green foliage.The more sun the more intense the color. Does have a tendancy to develop black spot but it is easily controlled. I have 3 of these and they are my favorites in the garden.

Opelika, Alabama
Moline, Illinois
Topeka, Illinois
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Waterloo, Iowa
Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)
Marrero, Louisiana