Floribunda Rose 'Lavaglut'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Lavaglut
Additional cultivar information:(aka KORlech, Intrigue, Lava Flow, Lava Glow, Lavaglo, Lavaglow)
Hybridized by Kordes
Registered or introduced: 1978

Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Medium red (mr)

Bloom Shape:

Flower Fragrance:

Slightly Fragrant

Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Other Details:

Resistant to black spot

Resistant to mildew

Resistant to rust

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

Thousand Oaks, California

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Silverton, Oregon

North Augusta, South Carolina

On Aug 23, 2014, RxBenson from Pikesville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Indeed, the flowers are small, but that makes it charming. And they do last quite a while-- unless the deer find them.

Mine do not get the optimum amount/hours of sun, but I did the best I could in finding a place for it. It continues to put out new growth. I used Miracle Gro outdoor soil mixed with our red clay soil and I water it when the surface gets bone dry. I also used a systemic insect control, but it needs a booster, as I'm seeing thrips hanging around....

On Jul 9, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Very deep warm red, dark but luminous. It really does glow like incandescent lava. Unlike most reds, it does not shift towards blue as the flowers age.

Flowers are 2.5", with around 25 petals, produced in large clusters.

The flowers last a long time (over a week). The petals are shed cleanly before they brown.

I see this sold here in the US under the name of 'Lava Flow' in addition to the more accurate 'Lava Glow'.

Sprays are popular for exhibition at rose shows.

Relatively disease resistant, but it still needs regular fungicide sprays to keep it from defoliating here due to black spot. I neglected to spray for a few weeks this spring and they never fully re-leafed.

On May 24, 2014, Flowerpower2014 from Boyce, LA wrote:

I let my husband pick out a rose that he wanted and this is what he picked. I wasn't thrilled about it because I typically like bigger blooms but I have to admit this is a great rose. I've had it about a month and a half and it's already on its second flush. The blooms really last a long time as in a week or more and they don't fade with the heat. The color is beautiful and it definitely has earned its place in my flower bed.

On Jun 6, 2013, meghanjfb from Gardiner, ME wrote:

This is a wonderful little rose, even for beginning rose growers like myself. Covered in roses when in bloom, and blooms for long periods. Not my favorite rose (have a soft spot for tea roses) but certainly one I recommend.

On Apr 25, 2010, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Adore the dark red color on this floribunda.

On Jun 21, 2009, willowwind from Moundridge, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

This rose has the most extrordinary, beautiful color. Absolutely the darkest red but without actual blackish overtones. The plant does quite well here despite our heat, wind and cold.

On Jul 31, 2005, msanjelpie from Meridian, ID wrote:

My favorite rose. Actually it is a dark red, and sometimes appears very dark in the proper lighting. ARS rating 8.7. Very high.