Azalea 'Elsie Lee'

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhododendron (roh-do-DEN-dron) (Info)
Cultivar: Elsie Lee

Mechanicsville, Virginia

Warrenton, Virginia

Battle Ground, Washington

On Jun 23, 2012, Gracye from Warrenton, VA wrote:

Bought three this Spring. Leggy, thinly-leafed, not a defined shape. Planted them, and a month later, they did not have much to show still with the leaves and shape, but, they transformed INTO BALLERINAS! The blooms were fluffy, full, and plenty!
I want a "retro" look for my 1050's cottage and these just fit the bill perfectly. I heard that Kurume Azaleas were once Builder's Standards, and that makes a ton of sense. I have the Kurume "Snow" on the other side of the patio, and WOW! Much nicer shape and leaves, single white flowers that arrive earlier than Elsie Lee's, but the two just can't be beat. Keep those fancy, temperamental varieties - the old standards are fine for me!

On Mar 20, 2007, LeeAnne151 from Portland, OR wrote:

I love the double blooms, have grown this Azalea for many years. The color is lavender, not pink as it says on the description. They open fuller and drop cleaner than Rosebud Azaleas. The older foliage does turn red and drop in the fall but it is only about a third of the plant for me, the rest stays evergreen.

On Jun 9, 2005, mickgene from Linden, VA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Although it is not evergreen in my garden, it bounces back every year and covers itself with blossoms.

On Mar 1, 2004, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

The large double flowers of this evergreen azalea give it the appearance of a florist's azalea. Older leaves turn yellow-orange in the fall.