Dwarf Rhododendron

Rhododendron impeditum

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhododendron (roh-do-DEN-dron) (Info)
Species: impeditum (im-ped-EYE-tum) (Info)
» View all varieties of Azaleas and Rhododendrons

Saint Albans, Vermont

Spokane, Washington

Woodinville, Washington

On Jul 10, 2010, themikeman from Concord, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

extremely beautiful, but also extremely sickly and sensitive, it's probably going to die, as it is turning yellowy-brown and brittle. I have checked the ph, corrected it, as it was only a little too high, so used a tiny bit of cider vinegar diluted in gallon water, and even added expensive cooperas natural iron sulphate, in case it had iron chlorosis, and nothing is helping revive it. mike

On Jun 14, 2009, Eleven from Royal Oak, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I bought two of these from a big box store before reading all the other comments but went ahead and planted them thinking I didn't have much to lose. They seemed to be doing all right for a couple weeks and put on some new growth. Then the neighborhood squirrels found them; the poor shrubs were dead within three days. I loved how they looked before that so might try them again next year with some cages for protection.

On Dec 17, 2008, tropicsofohio from Hilliard, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

wow, im surprized at the negative comments, i didnt realize how easy it is to kill these, i bought one 2 years ago, stuck it in the ground, and ignored it. it bloomed, added growth, and lookes beautiful. the leaves turn purple in the winter. i like this shrub very much. good luck with it

On Dec 17, 2008, esteve59 from Annapolis, MD wrote:

Very cool dwarf, but I also have 2 out of 3 dead....a very picky shrub......

On Aug 14, 2008, plantaholic186 from Winnetka, IL wrote:

I have to say, I have tried this plant several times, and it just won't stay alive. It's planted in raised beds full of azaleas and rhodies that thrive, but I've had only one survive out of 5 this year. Most of my rhodies are z6, so it should be okay. Maybe it just doesn't like me.

On Mar 1, 2004, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Another gem for the rockery, this dwarf rhododendron has flowers very close to blue, a rare colour for rhodododendrons. the foliage is also blue-tinted and fragrant.