PlantFiles: Bell Pepper
Capsicum annuum 'Big Bertha'

Genus: Capsicum (KAP-sih-kum) (Info)
Species: annuum (AN-yoo-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Big Bertha

» View all varieties of Peppers

Heat (Pungency):
Sweet (0 Scoville Units)

Fruit Shape:
Bell

Fruit Size:
Large (more than 6" in length)

Fruit Color:

Thumbnail #5 of Capsicum annuum by Big_Red

Thumbnail #6 of Capsicum annuum by Big_Red

Thumbnail #7 of Capsicum annuum by Big_Red

Positive auntypatty On Apr 7, 2013, auntypatty from Cordes Lakes, AZ wrote:

I live at 4,000 feet in Central Arizona where gardening is a bit of a challenge. I have tried to grow green (sweet) peppers many times without much success. I first tried this variety two years ago in an Earth Box and at first I got nice big plants and no peppers. I thought I'd failed again until late in the summer when I took a closer look and found plants were loaded with nice big delicious green peppers. They did well again last year, so I'm a convert.

Positive TBGDN On Jul 31, 2008, TBGDN from Macy, IN wrote:

This is my first year for growing Big Bertha, and I am surprised! These were late in getting set into the garden; around June 2nd. The peppers are enormous with one on a plant today measuring 6" and actually touching the ground. And the plants are another 30 days from reaching maturity. I am surprised at how well they are doing for getting set so late in the garden. We have eaten one so far mixed in a salad with onion and tomato; very crisp peppery taste and flavor.

Edited 9/11/08 to add: Today I picked one of these peppers measuring 8" in length, 12" in circumference at the shoulders, and 4" in diameter at its broadest point. I have uploaded a picture today. Little wonder it was named Big Bertha. Amazing!

Positive dancingbear27 On Apr 21, 2008, dancingbear27 from Elba, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is my favorite bell pepper. They are huge! The peppers are sweet both when green and especially after turning a gorgeous red. I have not had to stake the plants, they have been sturdy for me. The yield is abundant also. I would highly recommend these! My friends and family were amazed at the size of these whoppers.

Positive Big_Red On Jul 8, 2007, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Very large sweet bell pepper, one of my favorites. Does well for me here in KY.

Positive Farmerdill On Mar 4, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1978 introduction from Seminis (Petoseed). This is a very large (7inches long) bell pepper that is my favorite of the green bells. Makes superb stuffed peppers but I dare you to eat the whole thing. It grows well, but needs staking to hold the peppers off the ground, large open plant, with long branch lims that will break oof under the weight of the peppers if support is not provided.

Mayer, Arizona