Tropical Hibiscus 'Carolina Breeze'

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Species: rosa-sinensis (RO-sa-sy-NEN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Carolina Breeze

Marrero, Louisiana

Spring, Texas

Arlington, Virginia

On Jun 9, 2011, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I had gotten this at the local Home Depot in 2008 because of it's bright orange flowers. I have not seen that color in my area and was excited. Once the plant was home and placed in a bigger pot it stopped blooming... I did finally get a couple more blooms during the winter of 2010 when it was inside for the winter. The plant is still alive..barely I think it has one branch still alive and it is outside sitting in a weedbed for now till I decide what to do with it. I just do not think hibiscus in general like me.. I have since stopped buying the tropical versions and now are going to try the mandevillas instead and see if they like me any better.

On Oct 23, 2010, TikiLuna from Oceanside, CA wrote:

I just got two of these for my backyard - both currently have red AND orange blooms on them! I'm wondering if that's typical - variation in color? Hoping it will continue....

On Feb 9, 2009, Blubaby from Arlington, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I think my plant is nuts -- and in a good way! I bought this early last summer in a grocery store expecting it to maybe last me through September. The color was so gorgeous and it had several blooms on it. I was new to hibiscus (other than having grown some outdoors in the desert), and according to the ID spike in the soil this was a tropical CB Hibiscus. So I "read up" and learned that they're tough to grow indoors (tend not to bloom), not meant for my region, finicky (especially when repotting), and they go dormant in the winter. Most advice was to not even bother. Well... never say never! On finicky: yes, it can be touchy when moved or turned; a few leaves will go yellow and drop. But then it blooms, at least three in a row. This thing has bloomed every month during the cold D... read more

On Sep 13, 2007, annsrose from Spring, TX wrote:

Just purchase this plant today at local nursery to add to all my other hibicus plants. It really looks pretty and they are having a really great sale. Will see how it does. I live in Spring, Tx , Just adding a note , as of today blooms are opening and it is just beautiful!! So glad I bought this one.